Hallsville Lights Won the local Christmas Lights contest.

glaforce

Last night as dark fall and I was heading outside with my sister and her husband to watch the blinky flashy lights we where meet at the door by the local papers photographer asking if he could take pictures of the display. Of course i said yes as we are talking he says we where picked as one of 3 winners in the local Christmas light contest (didn't know about the contest until i got last months water bill).

The local 4-H club sponsors it and normally have 3 places that you can be named a winner in, but this year there are a few really nice displays in Hallsville and after the judging and voting all three of the finalist where tied so they awarded first place to all 3 this year. There is some amount of prize money (not sure how much) and the best part is we get a wright up and picture on the front page of the news paper.

Not to bad for my first year and only 15k lights and 5 songs.

Congrats! Now you can justify stepping it up a notch or two, and take the kit and caboodle.

They delivered the prize money tonight $25.00. That will buy a few more sets of lights. Bought 74 strings today at Menard's as well as 3 24" blue rope lite stars and 3 18" white rope lite star. Returned an unneeded 250' role of 12/3 w/g and got a $130.00 store credit and then went to the Christmas lights and spent the said $130.00 on lights. They only had multi color strings left in incads.

Well a couple of nights ago there was a knock at the front door and it was 4 or 5 of the local 4-H kids standing there and they told me I had won the Christmas lighting contest again this year.

Gary

Aweome! Did you win last year as well or just in 2011?

Last year my Windows (WINBLOWS) XP machince did an update and rebooted so the show didn't run that night until late and it didnt get judged. I have now turned off auto updates and load vixen in the startup of the computer and have set the bios to also turn on after a power failure.

I keep thinking Im going to build a linux box and run off of xlights.

I'm the only computer controlled display in town i think i may have an unfair advantage over the static displays.

Gary

Last year my Windows (WINBLOWS) XP machince did an update and rebooted so the show didn't run that night until late and it didnt get judged. I have now turned off auto updates and load vixen in the startup of the computer and have set the bios to also turn on after a power failure.

I keep thinking Im going to build a linux box and run off of xlights.

I'm the only computer controlled display in town i think i may have an unfair advantage over the static displays.

Gary

you dont need a linux box to run xlights...
i run xlights with my W8 box..
i run the display with my Raspberry PI - Falcon Pi Player

Back