Has anyone mounted ammo boxes on a Mega Tree (center) post?

ags0000

The CG-1500 or HC-2500 seem to be a good fit for this, but they are currently made from Unobtanium. Surprisingly, despite the injection mold plastic shortage, the ammo crates on Amazon are still available (though prices seem to have gone up). Has anyone used one of these crates and mounted them to a post? If so, please share your thoughts and recommendations. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have been using the MTM30 ammo boxes for the past several years. I have most of them mounted to 1/2" PVC pipe to slip over rebar. I keep the hinge to the top. They work great like that.

How do you mount the ammo box on the pipe? Drill holes through the back and use U-clamps? How do you secure the electronics inside - I see no mounting locations.

I have been using the MTM30 ammo boxes for the past several years. I have most of them mounted to 1/2" PVC pipe to slip over rebar. I keep the hinge to the top. They work great like that.

How do you mount the ammo box on the pipe? Drill holes through the back and use U-clamps? How do you secure the electronics inside - I see no mounting locations.

I hot glue 2 pieces of 3/8 x 3/8 wood across the short ends of the box.
20211017_172439_HDR.jpg
I then drill through the PVC pipe and case into these blocks from the outside
20211017_172603_HDR.jpg
I use the JDeation.com double-decker layout tool. I customize for the components I am using and fabricate myself out of plexiglass (but you can use plywood as well). I mount this assembly to the two wooden blocks from the inside
20211017_172527_HDR.jpg
I drill through the case below the latches to accept cable glands for my wiring
20211017_172551_HDR.jpg

Thanks for the response. I ended up making a frame to accept the ammo crate base, and threaded rod to hold it in place by the handles - hinges facing up. This allowed me to avoid any penetration of the crate itself. For next season I have to work on fastening the Plexiglass mounting board onto the crate base (inside) so it doesn't tip when the lid is opened.

Back