Help with Text effect on Matrix using custom models!

digitydogs

A couple days ago we had a really bad storm (sideways downpour rain) and water managed to creep into one of my boxes and fry out a couple buck convertors for my matrix. While I had to work on it anyway I decided to go ahead and double the density.

Long story short original matrix was 12x49 and was good to go on a single port, new matrix is now 23x49 and uses 2 ports. (Originally designed for 2 inch spacing, so sadly there was not a 24th hole per strip available)

The first "half" of the matrix is 600 pixels and the second half is 527. Because of this odd sizing the first half of the matrix uses 26 rows and 2 pixels into the 27th row, and the second half of the matrix starts on pixel 3 in row 27 and runs to the end of row 49.

I have created custom models that match this layout and have positioned them together to create a properly aligned matrix in xlights. I have put them into their own group, and everything seems to work great with one rather major exception. The Text effect doesn't work on the new matrix!! I can display an image, a video, shader, etc without issue, but as soon as I attempt to put text on it either nothing happens or a few random lights light up.

I've messed around with all the various layout modes in the model settings, and the best I can get is having the text appear duplicated on both halves of the display.

Can someone please tell me what I am missing or point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Here are the two custom models, separated slightly on the layout to make the odd alignment easier to see.
matrix.jpg

The closest I can get so far results in the second half of the display eating the text as though it was its own separate display
matrix2.jpg
This is where my group settings are currently with the above results.
matrix3.jpg

Thanks for the info. There is so much with xLights and Falcon player that the average hobbyist just can't keep track of all the tweaks and shortcuts.

Back