Holes... lots of holes

wilmar

Made some large snowflakes before thinking of how to make the holes for the 2811 pixels without damage to snowflake . Is there a preference to making these holes or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What material did you use

White corrugated plastic from Home Depot
154827ac33def4ccb15384433ae5ee6c.jpg

I think you need to do as Boscoyo does. See link: http://christmaslights.nietzer.net/boscoyo-snowflake-assembly-and-pixel-order
Those show s1quare pixels, but you will need to do similar with bullet pixels to accommodate mounting.

12MM hole in front sheet, then clean out corrugating and back sheet. If you don't clean corrugating around hole, then snapping pixel in place doesn't happen. Don't think you can drill very clean, I used a router

Thank you grumpy guess I should have done more research before cutting these out , think I may have messed up and will have to solder in jumpers from one extension to the next extension . Made the extensions to skinny for 2 rows of pixels . Forgot about the directional input output when I made 4’ snowflake .

Just skip every other hole on the way out the arm and then fill them back in on the way back down the arm

Just skip every other hole on the way out the arm and then fill them back in on the way back down the arm

Thanks I made it work that way but due to size of snowflake and 3” spaced nodes had to make twice as many holes to do that ... so for this one 4’ snowflake it will take 23 nodes for each of the 6 extensions and about another 50 or better for the center almost 200 . Should be pretty cool if I manage to get it together lol. Hope the corrugated plastic hold up to the weight of lights

Boscoyo uses 10mm thick coroplast. If you got your coroplast form HomeDepot, it is likely -much- thinner.

I have no experience with square pixels in thin coro but for bullet pixels, you want a 1/2 inch (or 12mm) hole. Because the coro is thin, you will not have to clean out any back sheet or coro. Just press the bullet into the hole.

Some people can use a normal drill bit. Some use a Forstner bit. Some use a punch. Given that you are working in a tight area, I suggest testing with a narrow piece of coro to see what works for you.

Last edited:
Boscoyo uses 10mm thick coroplast. If you got your coroplast form HomeDepot, it is likely -much- thinner.

I have no experience with square pixels in thin coro but for bullet pixels, you want a 1/2 inch (or 12mm) hole. Because the coro is thin, you will not have to clean out any back sheet or coro. Just press the bullet into the hole.

Some people can use a normal drill bit. Some use a Forstner bit. Some use a punch. Given that you are working in a tight area, I suggest testing with a narrow piece of coro to see what works for you.

Thanks ... step bit seems to work best

Back