Homebrew CNC Props from Plywood

digitydogs

Got bored, built a CNC with a 8x4 work area, started designing my own props.

Don't really see any other forum that feels appropriate to share, so I'm sharing in here. Feel free to move if there's a better location for this post. (possibly coro or cut outs?)

All made from 7/16 plywood. Will all be Primed, Painted, and the weather and UV sealed before being placed into use.

First up some small star spinners. 25 lights each, 4 submodels 1' in size.
IMG_20230403_125214.jpg

Singing Star. 42" tall. Approx 250 lights.

IMG_20230407_131400.jpg

Singing Tree 4' tall. Approx 250 lights

IMG_20230408_170235.jpg

It's OSB. I don't know why but pretty much everyone around here refers to it 7/16 plywood and I've gotten in the habit of doing the same because when I say OSB they look at me like im speaking gibberish.

Stamped 7/16 AND .419", in practice seems to vary between 10.8 and 11.8 mm across the sheet.

You actually can get a great seal on it, even on the cheap. I used some scrap pieces of OSB 5 years ago as part of a poolside container for things like pool noodles, goggles, nets etc. It's still holding up without any warping or damage to the OSB.

Cheap spray primer on both sides and around the edges. Then 2 good coats of acrylic paint. Finish off with a (semi-gloss) clear spray coat.

I'll have to go out and get a good image/video of the small stars tomorrow night, but in the meantime here is a clip from when i built and was testing out the xmodels for the small stars.

The tree and large star will be a few days before i have them painted and wired up.

Nice work!

Homebrew CnC, 4x8 cutting area <--- You have my attention!, any pictures/plans?:thup:

Nice - I used to have a homebrew CNC (made out of wood actually!) which was good enough for props but lacking in many other areas! I now have a X6-2200 machine from OmioCNC which I can really recommend. I just bought the frame from them then fitted my own steppers, spindle and control systems.

I tend to use white 4mm polypropylene which machines well but is more pricey than wood. However, it's ready for anything the UK winters can throw at it.

For larger props I sometimes offset them so they are made in a few jobs in an offset position (as the working area is smaller than the machine bed). The singing tree I made this year was in 2 halves which have tabs like a big jigsaw puzzle piece and lock together.

"I tend to use white 4mm polypropylene which machines well but is more pricey than wood. However, it's ready for anything the UK winters can throw at it."

I have a mpcnc machine, and i just bought a 2 Flute 1/8" Compression End Mill CNC Router Bit ( Carbide Up Down ), I heard this is suppose to be good for coroplastic cutting, my question to you is, what bit do you use to cut your 4mm plastic with? I am in the process of making some snowflake props and thought this might be the way to go, thank you for your input.

Dave

Back