How do I Set Up DMX Moving Lights in Vixen?

blurredvsi0n

I would like to have 2 DMX moving lights as part of my show this coming year. I was trying to figure out how to set them up in Vixen so I could play around with sequencing virtually. However, I can't figure out how to do it and how I would control things like movement, colors, etc. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Once you have the channels figured out like which ones are for X, Y, Z, axis and which ones are for colors etc (using the DMX Movers manual), you would most likely have to adjust each channel using the set level effect within Vixen. I have not seen a particular feature in Vixen for controlling DMX Movers. If there is one, I would be interested in knowing about it.

I have not seen a particular feature in Vixen for controlling DMX Movers. If there is one, I would be interested in knowing about it.

There really isn't anything for moving lights because Vixen doesn't do "live" programming. What I mean by live is on a conventional lighting console you set your scene and save it to the program. Without live control its hard to position lights. Best you can do is set static values which should be enough to get general looks like fans and what not.

Something I considered a while back was using a moving light console (or software) then triggering macros via relays from Vixen. Better than that would be SMPTE show control, but Vixen doesn't do that.

Thank you guys so much for the responses (as well as a couple of others on this forum) I think I have decided that DMX moving lights are going to be a little advanced for my first show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vixen will eventually do moving lights much better, much of the groundwork for this is already done. But for now, you have to do it the hard way. The trick is to set up multiple elements for the different aspects of the movers. One for RGB, set it up just like any other pixel. Then additional elements for the X, Y and Z movement and any other parameters you want to control. If there's any channels you need to be set at fixed values such as a master dimmer, you'll need elements for those as well.
all of the elements except the RGB part will patch straight thru to the appropriate channels. The RGB element will patch thru a color breakdown filter to the color channels. If you need to limit the range or scale values of any of the other channels, you can use a dimming curve filter to do this for you.
Custom value effects can be used for cases where you want to send specific fixed values on control channels.
Custom value effects are not good however for movement operations. for this you need ramping values. You'll want to use the pulse effect. Leave the color alone at the default white, and work with the curve. This will let you ramp the values of each axis from and to whatever values you like. It's generally not necessary to think in terms of 0-255 even though that's what's happening under the hood. The 0-100% curve levels will translate just fine.
We'll eventually have a XYZ movement effect as well as movement breakdown filters to go with it. When this happens, that will make things much easier, but it will also mean you'll need to reconfigure to work with it.
Vixen is a lot different than a pro stage lighting console, but it does have a good deal of live functionality. You can easily tweak your effects live while watching them on the actual lights. It's a bit awkward currently to do this with movers with multiple effects on several elements. But that'll be better when we roll in better movement support. We don't have a way to visualize the moving lights in preview though. So for that, you'll either need a professional visualizer software program, or do it on the live lights in the yard.
That brings up the point that the physical position of the lights has a big effect on how the show looks. You're going to want to set up the lights, leave them there, then do your movement programming. We don't have a way to calibrate all of the effects for inevitable cases such as when you place your fixture 2 degrees rotated from the previous year.

Can anybody help me with settings for vixen I have the dongle to usb to dmx but idk how to get the programming to work in vixen

I have tons of dmx lights that I've used on my light board...ex.. the mini led moving head from wash.
15a28dcad78a24396bff4ff919a0ac07.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The Vixen team is working on improving the DMX moving head support in Vixen. We hope to have it available in this year's release. If you need to sequence the moving heads now, you will need to sequence them at the channel level. I think other forum users have posted suggestions on how to accomplish this.

The Vixen team is working on improving the DMX moving head support in Vixen. We hope to have it available in this year's release. The new mech will be much easier. If you need to sequence the moving heads now, you will need to sequence them at the channel level. I think other forum users have posted suggestions on how to accomplish this.

I have exactly the model shown here - it's just a case of following the channel assignments in the manual. You will need to set the value on the 'dimmer' channel so the lamp is on always, I use the set value effect for that. Then it's just a case of animating the pan, tilt, R, G, B and W channels using curves in vixen. So you're looking at 7 mapped channels as a minimum

Back