I need some help with arches/canopy over driveway!

Bstoodley

Hey all!

So I am trying to find a permanent solution. I have a 4 car driveway (about 30 ft long and 20ft wide). In the past I had done arches using 1inch electrical conduit (the grey stuff with bell ends) and strapped mini lights to them. They sway pretty bad in the wind, and worse, we get freezing rain here, which leads to a total failure with the weight of the ice. So I am looking for solutions!

I'm not sure if the 1 inch conduit is the right stuff... Maybe I just need something else.

Or, I was starting to think about a canopy... Where I put up frames along either side of the driveway and then just run the lights across. But not sure what would be structurally sound enough for that, and what would be overkill!

Any ideas for me? Thanks!

When I did driveway arches in the Boise area a few years ago, I used 1-1/4" grey conduit. Using that size kept a nice arch without any sag. To keep them from moving around, I used 3/4" grey conduit attached to the top center of each of the arches, connecting them together. They withstood wind, rain, sleet, hail, snow, the occasional human bump and freezing rain........... They moved a little bit in the wind, not not enough to cause any issues.

My driveway is 17 foot wide and my arch is 36 foot circumference, and my car and truck both park under it. i'm using 1 1/4" PVC with guy lines, although that is by no means a permanent solution. It is seasonal. The guy lines make all the difference in the world.

It's looking good right now, because I'm noticing that the light show is more awe-inspiring when lights are just high up in the air. So...mega trees, driveway arch, props on the sides of the house, projectors in the 2nd-story windows, meteor showers in the trees. It just doesn't seem as grand when everything's on the ground level.

I agree with the height! Mine in the past have been about 15 ft high at the peak, and it is awesome! Until the freezing rain comes and they all bend completely out of shape!

For your guy lines, how exactly do you run them? Just a couple for each arch into the ground? And what type of line do you use? (fishing line? Rope?) thanks!

If you want to get really serious about it and don’t mind the expense, build a “hoop house” over the driveway with EMT. https://www.buildmyowngreenhouse.com/

Probably a bit late for this year, but you can get a start on it for next year. I’m using their system for a smaller walk-through archway, but one of their designs will span 24 feet without a center support.

I was thinking of adding a connector across the top, but was worried that would just accelerate my sagging problem!
Lastly, what kind of lights do you use on them and how do you attach them? Thanks so much!

I agree with the height! Mine in the past have been about 15 ft high at the peak, and it is awesome! Until the freezing rain comes and they all bend completely out of shape!

For your guy lines, how exactly do you run them? Just a couple for each arch into the ground? And what type of line do you use? (fishing line? Rope?) thanks!

The arch is the strongest structure (the ancient Greek mathematicians told us that). If you try to cut corners on the height, it's prone to sag more. Sagging begets more sagging.

I don't think the guy lines are a permanent solution, but I run black tie line that the Theater guys use. It's an eyesore during the day, but not at night. It has about the thickness of paracord. Since I use 1 1/4" PVC, the 36-foot arch uses 3 couplers. The guy lines rest on those--i.e. you tie a loop around the PVC sitting right above a coupler. I have 4 in all (2 on the left and 2 on the right) pointing diagonally away from the driveway and into a stake in the ground. Likewise, if you cut corners on how far away you run your guy line, all you do is sag the arch even more. Also, I put carabiners on all the guy lines halfway down, so I can just attach & reattach ropes without having to get on a ladder. Maybe when I finish my megatree, I can post a pic. I had it up during the offseason for testing, and it survived straight-line winds once. The big street sign across the street didn't--the arch did. The PVC couplers also need to be hammered in together pretty good.

Back