Incandescent comeback?

Interesting. I wonder how many of the characteristics we associate with incans will remain in this new version?

I find the following a little hard to take on face value tho (if incans are 2-3% efficient, can 6.6% efficiency "substantially" outperform LEDs? I don't know the LED numbers in their terms, but I thought they were already 3-5 times as efficient as incans). Anyway, if they can get to 40% cost effectively, cool. I expect it will be quite a while before it trickles down to Christmas lighting tho.
Traditional incandescent bulbs produce luminous efficiency of 2%-3% , but with the newer modifications the efficiency could rise to as high as 40%. The first run produced 6.6 % efficiency which, is already substantially higher than CFLs and LEDs.

Interesting. I wonder how many of the characteristics we associate with incans will remain in this new version?

I find the following a little hard to take on face value tho (if incans are 2-3% efficient, can 6.6% efficiency "substantially" outperform LEDs? I don't know the LED numbers in their terms, but I thought they were already 3-5 times as efficient as incans). Anyway, if they can get to 40% cost effectively, cool. I expect it will be quite a while before it trickles down to Christmas lighting tho.

I was a little confused by that also. I kind of remembering hearing that led's were at 13% but I could be wrong on that.

For me it would also have to address the fact that LEDs do not burn out. I converted all of my metal deer (15 of them) from incan to LED this past year. Usually I would spend two days a week fixing a light string on a deer somewhere, this year I had zero issues. I also put about 500 feet of icicles down my driveway. When I used incans about once a week I would have an issue, with the LEDs I had one issue all year and that was insulation wearing off of the wire.

Back