Inflatable with timer failure

jmruth72

Hello all,

So I have an inflatable (grandma got run over) that has a timer circuit to prevent the steam roller from turning until about 1 minute after power on. This lets it inflate fully before turning on the roller to prevent it from twisting it all up. The problem is my timer has failed and the roller doesn't work at all.
Does anyone have an idea as to where I can aquire a replacement? I have looked to no avail. I could really use some help and would really appreciate it. I would really like to get it repaired before Thanksgiving since that is when we start setting up for Christmas.

Thanks,
John

Have you pulled the timer out and look to see if it has a part # or some other identification markings, try googleing those and see if you come up w/ anything, you would be surprised what I have found in parts that way.

Did you get that inflatable in 2013? If it's the same one I'm thinking of, I had that one too. Made by Gemmy, and it had a reindeer driving the tractor, and grandma looks like she's been flattened out like a tortilla on a rolling pin (the steam roller part of the tractor)?

Chances are it makes use of a simple 555 IC timer with a simple AC to DC power supply converter. But there may even be a simpler implementation than that, which I'm not aware of.

Have you pulled the timer out and look to see if it has a part # or some other identification markings, try googleing those and see if you come up w/ anything, you would be surprised what I have found in parts that way.

I did take it out and look at it, but I didn't see a part number. I will look again more carefully to see if I simply missed it.
No I wouldn't be surprised as my wife and I are normally pretty good at finding odd bits and pieces.

Thank you for the suggestion.
John

Did you get that inflatable in 2013? If it's the same one I'm thinking of, I had that one too. Made by Gemmy, and it had a reindeer driving the tractor, and grandma looks like she's been flattened out like a tortilla on a rolling pin (the steam roller part of the tractor)?

Chances are it makes use of a simple 555 IC timer with a simple AC to DC power supply converter. But there may even be a simpler implementation than that, which I'm not aware of.

I don't remember when we got it, but I think it was either 2013 or 2014. Yes that is the one I am talking about. I pulled the timer assembly out and took the cover off and the board was fried because of water intrusion and so corroded I'm not sure I could fix it even if I could identify the failed components. Gemmy seems to suck at preventing water intrusion. So I am looking for a solution to get it running again. I have thought about just eliminating the timer and putting a simple waterproof switch under the base. Then once she is inflated I simply reach under the base and flip it on. I haven't decide yet. I like the automatic part of the timer, but the waterproofing seems to be a problem.
So did you get rid of yours? We love ours and will keep her till I can't fix her anymore.

Regards,
John

Back