It lives!!!

random_rodder

Got Helix #1 working over the weekend. Passed all tests in the manual. Now I need to break out the SSR's and some lights and do a full blown test before I start getting all the lights & stuff out.

Yeah, I know, I'm runnin' behind. Par for the course for me...

Okay, time to expound a little on this controller (sappiness warning: and a little on life in general):

First, I'd like to say I haven't had any issues that were not directly related my unfamiliarity with the Helix system. My system board powered up and tested flawlessly the first time. I had a few issues with the daughter cards which turned out to be a bad LAN cable. And I've had a few issues with the XBee radios that defied logic. But, as I told Greg, if a problem presents itself that defies common sense, logic, normal expectations or physics in general, it'll happen to me.

All of that said, so far, the Helix is working as advertised at this point in time, and all things considered, I really couldn't be happier (I guess thats the benefit in having to wait to assemble it; I got to see the issues everyone else was having).

The Helix is my first dimming controller, besides a Ren-C for my last 595 that is assembled, but never been programmed or used. I started out in 2006 with a strip-board 8-channel 595. In 2007, I used 60 channels of an Olsen 595 from a co-op (I got 2) by Macrosill. Last year, I used 112 channels from the 2 Olsen 595's. I'm looking to use all 128 channels of the first Helix unit (I bought 3) for this year, and at least 256 next year. It's been an interesting ride for sure.

After my car accident in February, I wasn't even sure I'd be able to do a display this year. My head, neck, back, shoulder, hands and right leg were so hosed that it was very much in doubt. The Helix gave me something to focus on when I could finally hold a soldering iron steady in August. My family is pitching in with making the props and setting up while I do the sequencing, so yes, I will be doing a display again this year.

While I don't think I've actually mentioned the car accident before now on DIYC, just being able to come here and see what everyone else was planning and talking about was inspiring, and I thank you all for being the sharing and giving type of folks you are. I'd also like to thank Macrosill and the rest of the admins for keeping such a nice site going smoothly.

Finally, I want to thank Greg for sharing his design and assisting those of us who have had problems with the Helix. He has been very patient and answered all of my questions promptly. I look forward to assembling my other two boards and planning for next year.

Take care,

Brian

Brian - great story! Happy for your ongoing recovery!! And it's great that DIYC was a help...

What mode are you going to be running the Helix in?

Roger

Hi Roger,

I'll be running in Mode 1. I don't have a need for Mode 2 or 3 right now (not that I'd do Mode 2.. defeats the purpose of the Helix IMHO).

Though if I get a wild hair to add in my 595, I could potentially see testing Mode 3, but, I'm not that ambitious this year, and I'm not sure they'd even play nice with each other. Besides, the 595 doesn't dim without the Ren-C (not programmed) and I don't have a Ren-T...:rolleyes:

Brian

Hi Roger,

I'll be running in Mode 1. I don't have a need for Mode 2 or 3 right now (not that I'd do Mode 2.. defeats the purpose of the Helix IMHO).

Though if I get a wild hair to add in my 595, I could potentially see testing Mode 3, but, I'm not that ambitious this year, and I'm not sure they'd even play nice with each other. Besides, the 595 doesn't dim without the Ren-C (not programmed) and I don't have a Ren-T...:rolleyes:

Brian

You don't really need the Ren-T because you can provide a ZC signal in other, more simple and less expensive ways. Programming the PIC in the Ren-C takes no time at all -- lots of folks would be glad to do that for you.

Exciting to hear of your steady recovery and that Helix is working so well. Greg's made a pretty neat system!!!

Hi Roger,

Brian

I agree with defeating the purpose.

Greg has sent me the newest, bestest files for Mode 1, but I haven't had the chance to test it yet. It is supposed to improve the timing, on longer sequences. A few people saw the timing get off, as the sequence played, and this is designed to correct that. I hope to have time tomorrow to test it all, been a week since he sent it. Been busy. I also didn't have any "longer" sequencing done, but I've been frantically sequencing, and have one done enough, that I can do the testing with. When I have the results, Greg will have them, and if they are all successful, I'm sure he'll post for everyone.

Roger

hmm - actually - I don't agree... I went with Helix because:

1) It has 128 channels in a single/compact controller - this is equivelent to the eight Renard 16 Simple controllers I just built as a backup to Helix.

2) Need/Want Mode 2/3 because I have an 2x1 LEDTriks/Triks-C that I want to sync to the show and you can't do that when in Mode 1.

3) Need/Want Mode 2/3 because I have two LOR 1602W controllers that I want to sync to the show and you can't do that when in Mode 1.

I'm hoping Mode 3 will work but my initial results have not gone well so once I get all my backup hardware up and running I'll come back to testing it more.

Brian - Mode 3 in theory is great...it's just Mode 2 that's not-so-good, and as Greg has said, it wasn't designed for Mode 2. Mode 2 doesn't run with other boards well, at all, plus it is severely limited to the speed. So, Mode 3 is the best of both worlds, if you want to run it with other boards. I was just talking about Mode 2.

Just curious, I knew you were having problems with Mode 3, and last I heard, it had something to do with the profile. Have you tried flattening the sequence, and see what that does? I haven't been following the Mode 3 very much, but would like to see it work, if at all possible! Again, best of both worlds! Hate to hijack the thread, but where are you guys with Mode 3, specifically, at this time?

Roger

You don't really need the Ren-T because you can provide a ZC signal in other, more simple and less expensive ways. Programming the PIC in the Ren-C takes no time at all -- lots of folks would be glad to do that for you.

Exciting to hear of your steady recovery and that Helix is working so well. Greg's made a pretty neat system!!!

Thanks. This morning I was looking at a ZC circuit on another users website that looked interesting - and cheap. If the Helix continues to work, I just don't see the need to keep the 595 around for anything other than a spare. The only real reason I haven't programmed the Ren-C...haven't bought the programmer... yeah... I know... :rolleyes: Other than that, the Ren-C is complete, just not programmed and obviously not tested.

hmm - actually - I don't agree... I went with Helix because:

1) It has 128 channels in a single/compact controller - this is equivelent to the eight Renard 16 Simple controllers I just built as a backup to Helix.

2) Need/Want Mode 2/3 because I have an 2x1 LEDTriks/Triks-C that I want to sync to the show and you can't do that when in Mode 1.

3) Need/Want Mode 2/3 because I have two LOR 1602W controllers that I want to sync to the show and you can't do that when in Mode 1.

I'm hoping Mode 3 will work but my initial results have not gone well so once I get all my backup hardware up and running I'll come back to testing it more.

Don't misunderstand what I said; I have little use for Mode 2 and the channel limitation. I'm optimistically looking forward to the test result you and others are going to be putting into Mode 3. Next year I would like to add a LED Tricks panel(s) and Mode 3 will be necessary for that.

I agree with defeating the purpose.

Greg has sent me the newest, bestest files for Mode 1, but I haven't had the chance to test it yet. It is supposed to improve the timing, on longer sequences. A few people saw the timing get off, as the sequence played, and this is designed to correct that. I hope to have time tomorrow to test it all, been a week since he sent it. Been busy. I also didn't have any "longer" sequencing done, but I've been frantically sequencing, and have one done enough, that I can do the testing with. When I have the results, Greg will have them, and if they are all successful, I'm sure he'll post for everyone.

Roger

I'm finishing my layout tonight. Thought I had it locked down over the weekend then struck gold at a yard sale on Saturday. Picked up 8 more strings of icile lights, a 48" Santa & 42" sleigh (both wire frame), six more Walmart candy canes, a 3d wire frame deer and sleigh and a huge freaking inflatable snow family - all for $20... A few lights here and there need replaced, other than that it all works... And I need to add in the animated wire frame deer and santa sleigh my folks just gave me... (My wife's ready to beat me...)

Brian

A few lights here and there need replaced, other than that it all works... And I need to add in the animated wire frame deer and santa sleigh my folks just gave me... (My wife's ready to beat me...)

Brian

Watch out. My wife's already smacked me with 2x4's this year -- several million times.

The swelling goes down after a while though.... ;)

Just curious, I knew you were having problems with Mode 3, and last I heard, it had something to do with the profile. Have you tried flattening the sequence, and see what that does? I haven't been following the Mode 3 very much, but would like to see it work, if at all possible! Again, best of both worlds! Hate to hijack the thread, but where are you guys with Mode 3, specifically, at this time?

Roger

I eventually got my sequences running OK but ran into issues when running a show or just running the same sequence over-and-over. This might all go away if I simply start from scratch but was hoping to salvage some of the work from last year. I am planning to build out the last set of Ren16s this week and hope to get back to re-evaulating Mode 3 again this weekend. It's not that I've given up - but at this point I just want to ensure I have something working with so little time left. My 4xRen16 DC setup works great so I'm feeling a little better anyway and I have everything necessary to build out the other 4x16 AC setup. If I get the Helix working - all the better - it will give me 64 additional channels (used half the SSRs on the Ren16 setup) and might make my LOR boxes not necessary any more.

....... and might make my LOR boxes not necessary any more.

I thought DIYC in general, did that...

lmao.gif

Just Kidding!!!

I'd like to help get Mode 3 going, as I like the idea of being able change shows night to night, without having to reload the Micro cards, which might lead to problems and mistakes. Are your problems having to do with using re-cycled LOR routines? I may be wrong, but weren't you doing that?

R

You still have to load the shows onto the SD card with Mode 3 - basically it runs the lights only triggered by Vixen which runs the show again along with the music. This is what allows you to run your other stuff like LEDTriks and LOR - yes LOR! I've been holding on to those boxes since at absolute worst case, I could put up last years show as-is... The good thing is I can sell those boxes and recoup at least a portion of what I had to build up for this year... The music runs on the PC so the whole issue we saw with 128Kbps/CBR, etc goes away also...

Yes - I used LOR sequences converted to Vixen to start with. They played OK within Vixen but I had to change the sample rate to 50mS (was 10 or 25 - don't recall). There were issues parsing the files by the Mode 3 tool also - Greg provided a real-time converter plug-in to create the Helix sequence as you played it. After those changes the sequences played OK but as I said, they would not repeat nor would the timed show run through.

Like I said - maybe this will all go away if I start sequencing from scratch which I need to do for the other songs I'm planning for anyway.

You still have to load the shows onto the SD card with Mode 3 - basically it runs the lights only triggered by Vixen which runs the show again along with the music.

This is confusing...by "load the shows", do you mean sequences? From my understanding, Vixen runs everything, but instead of telling each individual light, when to light, it just tells the event, and the Helix then chooses which lights. Or, am I all wet?

I could be wrong, and please correct me if I am, you can load all the sequences you want on the SD card. Then, set up the evening's show on Vixen, and play it through Vixen. The Helix will then know what sequence to use, and light the lights accordingly.

If that's the case, then what plays the music - the mp3 player on the Helix, or the computer? I was under the impression, that EVERYTHING comes from Vixen, music, and what sequence, and that the Helix then lights the lights, based on "timing" from Vixen and the computer.

Am I close? Or am I way out in left field?

Thanks,

Roger

I think you got most of it right... :p

Mode 3 is truly a hybrid of Mode 1 and Mode 2. The Vixen sequences get converted to Helix mode and those then get copied over to the SD card - however - there is no audio track and the MP3 player on the Helix is not used at all. The audio comes from your PC like a non-Helix setup to your FM transmitter/speakers. You play the sequence with Vixen using the Mode 3 plug-in which kicks off the Helix to start the sequence but Vixen is not sending full blown sequence information. This allows you to run many channels as you do with Mode 1 since the amount of traffic from PC to Helix is very small. It also allows you to add in other plug-ins such as Renards, DMX, etc. as well as the CMD trigger to kick off your LEDTriks. The bulk of the actual light control is off-loaded by the Helix so your PC isn't loaded much.

This is confusing...by "load the shows", do you mean sequences? From my understanding, Vixen runs everything, but instead of telling each individual light, when to light, it just tells the event, and the Helix then chooses which lights. Or, am I all wet?

I could be wrong, and please correct me if I am, you can load all the sequences you want on the SD card. Then, set up the evening's show on Vixen, and play it through Vixen. The Helix will then know what sequence to use, and light the lights accordingly.

If that's the case, then what plays the music - the mp3 player on the Helix, or the computer? I was under the impression, that EVERYTHING comes from Vixen, music, and what sequence, and that the Helix then lights the lights, based on "timing" from Vixen and the computer.

Am I close? Or am I way out in left field?

Thanks,

Roger

(Oops, it looks like Budude beat me to the punch. Here is my reply anyway.)

In Mode 3 Vixen plays the MP3s. The way it works is when a sequence is ready to start the Vixen Plug-in sends the sequence name to all of the Helix controllers so they know which sequence to load up. Vixen then starts playing the song and sending out the timing pulses for each event. The Helix controllers change their channels in time with these pulses.

So you could load all of your sequences on to the microSD card and then have different scheduled shows that Vixen runs. As long as the sequence has been preloaded on the microSD card then it should work. On a side note, having the ability to play a different show every night is on my schedule for improvements for next year.

The problem that Budude is experiencing is puzzling me. If I understand it correctly when he tries to run a scheduled show in Vixen then the first sequence plays correctly but it hangs up on the second one. Before I released the latest version of the firmware/plug-in I ran a 4 sequence show using his converted sequences for four hours straight without any problems. I don't think it is a problem with his converted sequences it sounds more like a problem with the plug-in or with Vixen's scheduler. I would like to work with him some more on this when he gets back around to it.

Last edited:
And I will Greg - I just wanted to be sure I had something lined up for the show first - the problem is it's a chicken-egg thing - can't sequence all the way w/o knowing what elements I will have and can't define what elements I will have w/o knowing how many channels I have, etc...

I know you want this working as much as I do and I really do appreciate your efforts. I still need to try some new sequences and will get back to you.

Back