Kulp K4-PB Network issues

r0ckms0ckm

Hello Lighting People,

I decided to dive into the deep end of lighting and construct a holiday lighting setup with a controller. I recently ordered the Kulp K4-PB and in the order I bought the K4-PB and the USB Ethernet adapter.

I have powered the device with a 12V power supply and a 5V power supply (making sure to set the K4 correct for the change). The USB Ethernet adapter is plugged into the K4's USB A port (not the micro USB port on the PocketBeagle), which is then connected by ethernet to my home network.

Everytime I turn the K4 on the display shows "No Network" on the display.

I could really use some help here. Is it possible that the K4's USB port is dead?

I've spent the Kulp Team three emails and have heard nothing from them.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, two of my six kulp boards, the usb on the board doesn't work properly. I was able to get one of them to work"ish" by adjusting the pins inside the port, but it didn't always work.
I just bought several micro usb - usb adapters used the usb port on the beaglebone and moved on to other things instead of continually messing with it. No problems when after that.

Thanks for the speedy response. I have to the feeling of regret regarding this purchase continues to grow. The lack of response from them is concerning. I don't know whether to stick with the K4-PB or move on to another manufacturer. Honestly not sure if I could get my money back at this point.

Concerning your solution, Kulp's warning is a bit confusing. "NOTE: Do NOT use USB tethering to configure the K4-PB. It will cause permanent damage to the K4-PB."

Did you use the micro usb port to get the K4 connected to a network?

Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 4.32.55 PM.jpg

When I first noticed the issue, I let him know and he was willing to replace it. But if I could make it work with a simple cable, I was OK with it. It is a good board. When purchasing new boards, Kulp are my choice. I just purchased the K32 this year. I do have a couple Falcons and have had no problems with them either. I am not 100% sure on the tethering, but that may mean connecting it to the PC and configuring. I could be wrong there. I use a 3-Port USB 3.0 Hub USB to Ethernet Adapter plugged into mine when I program initially. Some of them I change out to a wireless usb adapter after initial programming. Haven't had a problem in years.

I'm running twin K32's, and my networking suffices, although I still don't have DNS and I don't understand what this mDNS is in Falcon. I don't use wireless. That's the same tech support experience I've had with Kulp: no response, unless it's a really "good" issue, impacts development, or it challenges Dan. The Experience Lights guy seems like quite a workhorse--you might get better support response from him. WiredWatts Ken immediately responded to me within seconds.

I'm running twin K32's, and my networking suffices, although I still don't have DNS and I don't understand what this mDNS is in Falcon.
mDNS is a way for the controller to tell the network its unique human acceptable name (like a hostname). This allows you to configure the data source or browser using that name and never type an IP address again. If the IP addresses change, then the name gets associated with the new addresses and your controller config requires no changes.

I've given up on the K4-PB. It's heading back to KULP. So here's my question..... Which one is the better one to go with, the K8-B Beaglebone Controller Cap by Kulp Lights or the F16V4 Pixel Controller?

Define better a bit...but before you do that, considering your experience with the K4, why would you consider the K8?

Try the F16. You might have the same tech support problems via email but the eco system of the F16 is very large. Likely any questions you have about it would be answered in a forum or zoom room by someone that knows that particular controller. Also notice that pixelcontroller.com has a phone number on its support page. You should call it and ask a question. See if you are happy with how they respond and then make a decision.

The Kulp controllers are pretty nice and buying from them supports the whole lighting community as Dan puts a lot of effort into the software(s) we get to use for free. Since you are not happy with how the K4 turned out for you, you might want to consider something else.

Hello Lighting People,

I decided to dive into the deep end of lighting and construct a holiday lighting setup with a controller. I recently ordered the Kulp K4-PB and in the order I bought the K4-PB and the USB Ethernet adapter.

I have powered the device with a 12V power supply and a 5V power supply (making sure to set the K4 correct for the change). The USB Ethernet adapter is plugged into the K4's USB A port (not the micro USB port on the PocketBeagle), which is then connected by ethernet to my home network.

Everytime I turn the K4 on the display shows "No Network" on the display.

I could really use some help here. Is it possible that the K4's USB port is dead?

Is it possible your USB-Ethernet adapter is faulted, or not compatible. I run several Kulp boards...some WiFi and Some USB-Ethernet adapter. 2 K4-PB

I LOVE my F16s (yes I have four in the show). They have been my goto controllers since the blue boards came out. Anytime I have had an issue, I have gotten great support. I have no issues endorsing the F16 line of products along with its expansion boards and remotes.

Like others, F16s proliferate my display and for the most part are my "goto" controllers. This year there are 11.

However, the Kulp controllers are also present (to the tune of 7 this year). I too have a K4-PB, and a K40D-PB with no problems with either ethernet dongle. I'll admit that I prefer the Kulps with full sized Beagles since they have onboard Ethernet.

You sir, ask the good questions. Considering my experience with the K4 what I need is a decent support option as well as a reliable ethernet connection. The lack of a dedicated ethernet port on the PocketBeagles is the issue for me. I wonder if issue would arise if I have the K4 connected to 12v power and the PB connected to a PC via the microUSB port (which is delivering power). I think a Kelp with a full sized Beagle or a Falcon F16 is the better way to go. Thoughts?

Not sure if my first attempt to reply went through.

You ask a great question. I need a reliable ethernet (or wifi) connection to the controller. The USB port on the K4 did not work which required the use of the MicroUSB port on the PB. I was able to connect to the PB via the MicroUSB port without issue. I am concerned that issues might arise with the K4 getting power from the 12V power supply and the PB getting power from the microUSB connected to a PC. I think it need to find a controller with a dedicated and reliable ethernet port.

To be clear, I appreciate the work that Dan has done to help the lighting community. I think I got a defective device and that's all.

I have the k40D with beagle bone. The light show has been up and running with no issues. Then about a week about I lost my wifi and sound being sent to the FM transmitter. Sounds like there are issues the USB on the board and the no fix in sight. I was told to get a powered usb hub and connect that to the micro usb on the beagle bone. I have tried that and still cannot get anything to work. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do. Lovely this happened right before christmas. Havent even had it for a full year. Thanks in advance for any help

Reimage the sdcard and start over. Start with latest software that has an installer and do updates before proceeding too far.

Last edited:
That really depends on what changed. Something changed from the day it was working to the day it wasn't. What was it?

I start my troubleshooting by starting with easy. Is it a software glitch or hardware glitch? By resetting the software to defaults (which is easy to do), you either correct the problem or eliminate software as a problem. That is the simple answer.

If software doesn't solve it, you are left to do the mechanic thing. Replace the system part by part until it works again. That being harder to do and having to order multiple parts to test each part of the system.

Troubleshooting the hardware...have you tried the usb device on a PC? Is it correctly identified, driver installed and you can use it to communicate in some test mode? Doesn't prove the device will work with the Linux based BB but a pretty good answer. Next, plug some other USB device into the BB. Is it recognized and usable?

Back