Labels for Mega Tree Strips

rreese

I am getting ready to start putting the LED's onto my Mega Tree strips.
Do you label the strips?
If you do, what do you use that will withstand the weather?
My strips are black.....
Thanks

Are they LED strips, or are they nodes put into strips? Dumb or smart? What is your controller? You may not need to number the strips, as the strips do not know what order they are in. Only the controller outputs need to be numbered so you know what order to place the strips.
I use regular P-Touch tape to number the pigtails. I have some that have been in my show 10 years.

I don't. I organize my strips into groups of 4, and I tell where they are based on position, e.g. group 8, strip 4. What I absolutely need are labels on the data lines, and those have to go on after I route the wires through the cable glands on the controller box. Each group of 4 goes on one channel. If I labelled the strips, I would lose the liberty to rearrange them. The important thing is only that my channels connect in order to the right groups (in my case, from right to left).

Are they LED strips, or are they nodes put into strips? Dumb or smart? What is your controller? You may not need to number the strips, as the strips do not know what order they are in. Only the controller outputs need to be numbered so you know what order to place the strips.
I use regular P-Touch tape to number the pigtails. I have some that have been in my show 10 years.

Nodes that I am putting onto strips.

So it depends on the controller you are planning on using. If you are using a Pi/PiHat configuration, you may only have two outputs and could color coordinate your pigtails. You probably have the choice to easily run 100 nodes on a single output without power injection and many more (up to 800 nodes) with some power injection. If you are using a multiple outlet controller and don't want to use a simple label maker, you could use these or the tape variety.

Labeling your outputs on your controller is a good thing.
Your strips/strings/etc. may change from time to time (year to year?). If so, no need to mark them.
IF you have specific inputs for specific outputs (like multiple connections between controller and a high density prop), then you may consider marking the inputs to make sure they get put back in the proper order the next time around.

Some good examples:
We have a PEX tree with 16 tubes (with strips in them.) Each year they are removed from the mount and put away in a large storage tube. Each new year, the PEX tubes are taken from their storage and put on the frame (tree) in whatever order. Much easier than trying to put PEX #1 in position #1, PEX #2 in position #2, etc. each time. Just grab output one and connect it to the first tube. Output 2 and connect it to the second tube, etc.

We have a matrix that has 96 vertical strings with each output on the controller zig zagging up and down 3 times. It is imperative that we make sure the outputs on the controller match the inputs on the matrix. So each input is marked so it gets the matching output from the controller.

Besides, it makes me feel good to sit there in the sunshine putting labels on the ends.

I am getting ready to start putting the LED's onto my Mega Tree strips.
Do you label the strips?
If you do, what do you use that will withstand the weather?
My strips are black.....
Thanks

All my strips are the same so I do not label or mark them in any way.
I do mark my controller outputs. I use some 3/8's white heat shrink (as a sleeve, don't shrink down) marked with Black or Red sharpie

All my strips are the same so I do not label or mark them in any way.
I do mark my controller outputs. I use some 3/8's white heat shrink (as a sleeve, don't shrink down) marked with Black or Red sharpie

How do you get the heat shrink to hold still if you don't shrink it?

I label all of my outputs from the controller and as others my strips don’t need to be in any order. I just use a label maker with waterproof tape and create flag type label that wraps around the pigtails and then adheres to itself.

Only been one year but worked great so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How do you get the heat shrink to hold still if you don't shrink it?

You don't.20220530_224425.jpg
But I was lucky enough back in 2015 when I started this madness to have a boss who let me print some from a Brady label maker that they were getting rid of and/or changing brands or something. They have a crease in them and stay in place....... somewhat.
20220530_224438.jpg

Back