Ladder Safety

jdesign21

I know it's almost that time of year when you take out ladder and start to use it more than normal for your light show. I just want to remind everyone to stay safe and have a helper if you can.

About 3 months ago I went to fix a water leak on my roof. I was already at top one foot on the roof and the other on ladder. I slipped as I was falling I manage to turn around and landing standing up on pavement. I shattered my right heel into pieces and I have a metal plate with screws. On my left foot I broke a small bone to my heel and tore all my ligaments. I was in a wheelchair for 2 1/2 months, right now i'm going to physical therapy to learn to walk.

I'm still hoping to be able to put up lights this Christmas.

My brother fell about 8 feet off a ladder while decorating his house and basically crushed the right side of his body. I rent a boom lift evey year for setup and have everything arranged so I can take it down from the ground with a long pole and hook arrangement.

If you look into renting a lift be sure to compare prices as they can very widely for the same equipment. I am paying $225 for a weekend use.

Sorry to hear of the misfortunes with ladders. Yes one should always have a helper or at least someone watching out for you.

I couple of years ago I had my little 2 step "ladder" collapse while I was trying to adjust the arch on my driveway. My wife was backing out of the driveway and the whole event unfold. Thankfully, no serious injuries.
ATTACH=CONFIG]40321[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 20161211_123050_smal.jpg
    20161211_123050_smal.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 40
Oh man i hate to hear about that, Ladders scare me, always have i hate to go up more then a few steps. i try not to but what i plan to do this year i will need to be on one i always have someone holding the ladder for me.

I have one peak that is 25 feet. I am not afraid of heights, but that one is a little unnerving. To make it a little less stressful, I tie the upper part of the ladder to the house through some bedroom windows! Knowing the ladder can’t move sure makes it easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to install power at the peak of one of my roofs for future house outline. It also was about 25', just about the end of my 32' ladder. A bit unnerving drilling the hole and mounting the outlet. When I do the lights, definitely getting a lift.

I had to install power at the peak of one of my roofs for future house outline. It also was about 25', just about the end of my 32' ladder. A bit unnerving drilling the hole and mounting the outlet. When I do the lights, definitely getting a lift.

Definitely, Get A Lift. Also the real trick is to design your attachments so that the decorations are secure, but can be detached from the ground using a long pole (or two). I just got this pole and can reach all the way to the top of the gable over my 2nd story from the ground. Only needing the rent the lift once helps alot.

One thing I do not see mentioned here is the quality of the ladder and the rating.
In Canada we have GRADES to the ladders, I am sure you have something similar in the US.
Grade 1A up to 300lbs, 1 up to 250lbs, 2 up to 225lbs, 3 up to 200lbs.
It is more expensive as you move up, but you will feel the difference as the higher quality ladders do not flex as much.
Also, I use stabilizers at end of ladder to make it safer (wife insisted) Guess she does love me.....LOL

Definitely, Get A Lift. Also the real trick is to design your attachments so that the decorations are secure, but can be detached from the ground using a long pole (or two). I just got this pole and can reach all the way to the top of the gable over my 2nd story from the ground. Only needing the rent the lift once helps alot.

I have a pole that is similar. Curious, how do you disconnect the data/power? or is it fed from ground level?

Also, I use stabilizers at end of ladder to make it safer (wife insisted) Guess she does love me.....LOL
Yeah I have a stabilizer also, unfortunately my home has a prow front and the stabilizer did'nt touch the wall on the prow. At least the hard part is done now.

e33a5cb645a6093e861f6404c8607eef.jpg

Ladder Safety: Use the ladder as a light holder and stay on the ground :)

In all seriousness though I try never to climb a ladder without someone holding it. My philosophy is if it doesn’t feel safe don’t do it.

Back