Las Vegas style sign

ailgup

Hello all,
Recently i was thinking about some cool stuff to add to my display this year, and thought of this crazy idea. Create the iconic welcome to Las vegas sign, but replace the Las Vegas. I already have a welcome/tune to sign, but it is far from the display, and not really a part of the show. I think I have seen this before in somebody's display but cannot remember where. Anyway I could not decide what to put after welcome to fabulous..., I was thinking wither my town (Townsend) and Massachusetts like the real sign; or the name of the display ("Christmas in Townsend") and under that "Light Display".
If I do the whole Christmas in Townsend, the text would be smaller, but I was just wondering if anybody had seen the images that I think I saw of somebody else doing this, and which name I should use.

Thanks !

Mock up of the sign, each leter of the welcome will have either: red rope light tracing each letter , white rope light around the circle, or both. The star will be in rope light, and c9 led's will go around the border. Finally a spot light will be used to highlight the lettering not done in rope light. I would prefer the c9's to chase, but need to find some that do that.

Attachments

• Welcome to Fabulous Townsend.jpg
    Welcome to Fabulous Townsend.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 226
I like the idea of using your display name. Replace "the fabulous" with "to Christmas in" (using the same font), and either leave Mass alone, or replace it with "Light Display".

I like the idea of using your display name. Replace "the fabulous" with "to Christmas in" (using the same font), and either leave Mass alone, or replace it with "Light Display".

Awesome idea, thanks here is the mock up, the font for the "Christmas in" is not perfect, but is the closest I could find.

Welcome to Christmas In Townsend.jpg

I really like this idea. My tune to sign is really nice but this is really eye catching. Keep us posted if you decide to make it and what steps you took also. Pics would be great!

Thanks, I really like the idea and can't wait to get started. However, for the perimeter lights, I was thinking leds in the c9 style, but could not find anything expect minis that did the chase effect. Any Ideas?

I might accely have a 3 light chase controller.(had like 10 sitting im my parts drawer i think) There accely used in signs like the las vegas ones.(I live in vegas) I can probably part with one or 2 if you need one.

Also the star "explodes" so there should be 2-3 segment in the star that get bigger.

Edit or not: there for low voltage ac no idea what input voltage is. Still you can probably throw something together yourself. a decade counter a 555 (or a few transitors) and you got yourself a circuit to trigger a optoisolator and a triac.

Last edited:
The idea is good enough. I am new here but i think my opinion will help you, so you should use LED lighting for your sign. because all the signage companies are using LED for lightning purpose.

Back