Led Lights wont fade they just flicker

rhinoguy

Any one else ever had this problem when using LOR or anything else. For some reason during fade the lights flicker like a short instead of getting dimmer and brighter!! ANy fix for this or am I out $300 bucks?

:confused:

Try a long fade from 0 to 100% or toy with them in the manual control if you have that in LOR. If it seems to work it is probably from the sensitivity of the triac. I use Vixen and found that on some LED's I had did the same thing with my old programs, but if you adjust them they had seemed to work for me. The latest vixen has intensity settings I believe that will help with that. I am going to download it tonight and check it out.

This could also be a load issue. For a SSR based dimmer to work properly they need to have a heavy enough load. LEDs because of the small current draw can cause dimming issues like this. As a test, if the other suggestions don't correct this, connect a 100W light bulb to the string. This is called a "ghost load" and should smooth out the dimming of the entire string and make things work correctly.

This could also be a load issue. For a SSR based dimmer to work properly they need to have a heavy enough load. LEDs because of the small current draw can cause dimming issues like this. As a test, if the other suggestions don't correct this, connect a 100W light bulb to the string. This is called a "ghost load" and should smooth out the dimming of the entire string and make things work correctly.

A 100-watt bulb is a lot more than a "ghost load". That will draw over eight-tenths of an amp by itself.

A lot of folks seem to have success using a C-7 bulb which is only about .053 amps.

:)

I don't think you can get full-wave LED strings from the local stores.

But adding a single C9 to your LED strings will fix this problem. I run some cheapy LEDs on my display and noticed I only have this fading/flickering problem with the Ace Hardware 200ct LED C6 strings (4 strings in series).

Good luck,

Seen crazylights info but says you could use other resistors which one would i use from mouser. and will it dim for most led's for dimming?

Also check to see if your LOR controller firmware is up to date. New firmware to assist with LED dimming was released some time ago.

If you are using LOR S2 ver 2.8.12 then it contains the lastest firmware that you can then use the hardware utility to reflash the firmware for your controllers.

(I have 480 channels of LOR and 41,000 full wave LED lights and they dim great, do not need to use terminators on mine)

Back