LEDs at Wal-Mart

scottmcm

I went by Wal-Mart yesterday and found they have 100 count LED mini light strings for $5.94. They are standard T5 shape like their incandescent cousins. I was not there for lights so I did not buy any (under penalty of torture from wifey) so I am wondering if anyone has tried these yet. I would bet they are half-wave, non-dimmable....if so, don't we have fix for that? Cheers!

I have used (and still use) their LED icicle lights. They work relatively well with the exception of a few failures over the season. When water and ice sit in the strings, the leads become brittle and break on their own. It seems that moisture corrodes them. This can be difficult to diagnose because they have hairline breaks where the leads bend and travel inside the socket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went by Wal-Mart yesterday and found they have 100 count LED mini light strings for $5.94. They are standard T5 shape like their incandescent cousins. I was not there for lights so I did not buy any (under penalty of torture from wifey) so I am wondering if anyone has tried these yet. I would bet they are half-wave, non-dimmable....if so, don't we have fix for that? Cheers!

I just purchased. 5 boxes today, will be starting my display in the new few days. I was looking for the rounded flat tipped LEDs but only found the ones you described i was kinda surprised.

I used a few strings last year, a last minute thing, they are half-wave, but they dimmed well enough for me.

What I found unique about them, and did not notice until this year, is that they are wired much like incans, for the multicolored, 50 in series so you can split them at the 2 wire spot in the string, solid colors may vary, the Blue were in 33/33/34. In fact I thought they were incans when I grab them this year, because their biggest difference from other LEDs - THERE ARE NO BLOBS on the strings to worry about, and if you use the Full wave converter you don't have to rewire each section.

I have several of them in my display, the Blue, Green and white are 33/33/34 and the nred are 50/50. They dim very well with virtually no flicker at all, very vibrant colors. Easy to cut to length as well.

I have some of their C-9's and they are easy to fix with my LED Keeper and some spare white 5mm leds and they do dim unlike the higher priced GE's

As far as string lights are concerned I think about 90%+ in my display are from Walmart. I haven't had any issues and they look just as good as those from Target/Home Depot. They are half wave but that doesn't bother me at all.

Ive been able to pick up LED string lights from Walmart after the season for as low as $0.74 a piece, and at that price if they only last 2-3 seasons I'm happy.

I do have their c9 style LED lights on my house, I left them up all year this year and surprisingly they still work when I tested them about a month ago.

EDIT - They do dim as well. I have a few section of my sequences that fade up and down and they actually perform very well.

Last edited:
I have used Wal-Mart LED lights a lot. For a few years, I stocked up on them on December 26th. It was a bit of a tradition to get up at 5 or 6 AM and hit up all the Wal-Marts in a 50 mile radius. I have thousands and thousands of them and haven't noticed any big issues with them. As previously mentioned, the leads on the LED tend to corrode and break at the bend, but it's fairly painless to diagnose with an LED keeper. I've had the same issues with several other store brands so I didn't think that was unique. I'm starting to phase out regular lights and only buying pixels these days or I'd still be buying lots of Wal-Mart lights.

I’ve had good luck with the mini led at Walmart as well. Another store brand I’ve had luck with is Menards. Like someone said early about Home Depot brand I’ve had not such good experience with those(when it comes to them reacting to my effects).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is your dimming experience with these Walmart LED strings using a Renard, LOR, or other A/C controller?

When you say dim very well with virtually no flicker, are we talking full 0 to 100% up and 100% to 0 down ramps? I was always under the impression that half-wave strings simply couldn't do this; full-wave design was a requirement. They don't just completely shut-off half way down the dimming curve?

I have several of them in my display, the Blue, Green and white are 33/33/34 and the nred are 50/50. They dim very well with virtually no flicker at all, very vibrant colors. Easy to cut to length as well.

I use a lot of Walmat LEDs - I buy the multis after Christmas for less than $1 per set and re-bulb them into solid colors (note: the 50 ct version). I easily have over 200 such strings in my display, some incorporated into various props.

They are half-wave and the flicker is perceptible. They do dim, but the dimming curve is different from incans. In typically LED fashion, they dim faster and shut off before full off. I do get some breakage of leads at the bends (3 in 2 strings the other day!), but I have not had much trouble iwth corrosion. Yet.

Jimoha

Is your dimming experience with these Walmart LED strings using a Renard, LOR, or other A/C controller?

When you say dim very well with virtually no flicker, are we talking full 0 to 100% up and 100% to 0 down ramps? I was always under the impression that half-wave strings simply couldn't do this; full-wave design was a requirement. They don't just completely shut-off half way down the dimming curve?

These are being controlled via a Renard RP32 and ssr8 relays. I will take a short video if I can and show you how they look when dimmed. Again, I notice no flicker

Please help me understand if I am reading post #11 correctly that you can now pull all the bulbs out of the multi-colored strands and replace them back and make solid colored strands with the Walmart LEDS? Is this able to be done with out adding anything else into the strings and the string still work? I tried this several years ago with the Walmart C6 multicolor strands and did not work

Also, in post #4 and #5, when you cut the strings to length, do you have to add rectifiers or anything to the strings?

If anybody can advise, I would appreciate. I am trying to understand how to do things without spending a ton of money. Any diagrams would help as well as a list of parts I would need and where to obtain.

Also in re-guards to the Walmart LEDS solid colors, I love them. Have used the white on white to replace lights on my deer for several years without any problems

I have used the 100 count multi strands to make solid color strands before. I've done 100 strands like this. They work fine. However, some bulbs have a wider base. These are the first and last bulb of each section. The socket is bigger because these have 3 wires instead of 2. Watch for the different size bulbs and you shouldnt have trouble (unless they've changed the design).

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Please help me understand if I am reading post #11 correctly that you can now pull all the bulbs out of the multi-colored strands and replace them back and make solid colored strands with the Walmart LEDS? Is this able to be done with out adding anything else into the strings and the string still work? I tried this several years ago with the Walmart C6 multicolor strands and did not work

YES, they can be made solid color with virtually no other modifications.
First, the strings are actually two 25ct segments. You can cut them where there are two wires and add plugs as needed. Further length modification comments relate to each of the 25ct segments.

You can easily re-bulb the multi strings to solid colors (it just gets a bit tedious, that’s all). You do have to watch out for the bigger (3-wired) sockets at the ends of each segment. Sometimes you have to experiment with a particular string. Note that these special sockets/plugs are almost always yellow or red – so you will have to trade the actual LED and plastic cover to convert them to green and blue for the green and blue strings. The light inserts there are also wider and SEEM to have the polarity of the LEDs changed compared to the other bulbs.

When converting to solid colors, you should change the resistors or you might have some failures (LEDs burning out). I had one string burn out 8 LEDs before I realized this.

I have converted the multi's to solids EXTENSIVELY with the 50 ct WalMart LEDs (nearly 200!). The green and blue strings can leave the resistor unchanged, but it could be reduced a little to increase the brightness safely (or else remove 3-4 LEDs) from each segment. The red and yellow either need a larger resistor, or add more LEDs (4-5) to the string segment.

If you have these lights:
holidaytime_50ct_multi2.jpg
Then I can tell you exactly how to mod them.

The original resistor is 2.5K (sometimes 2.6K; in larger blob; pull off 'cap', push middle plastic 'tab' up from the bottom. I have a trick if you can’t figure it out.). For 50 ct red or yellow, change to 3.0K 1W or larger. For blue or green, change to 1.5K 1W.

One other comment: The picture on the box implies that there are 5 different colors. There are only 4: Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow. Furthermore, there are twice as many red and yellow LEDs as there are green and blue. So in a 50 count string, you will often see 17 reds, 17 yellows, and about 8 greens and 8 blues. Take than into account when you figure out how many strings you need to convert. If you convert 6 such strings, you will get about 2 red strings, 2 yellow strings, about 1 green string, and about 1 blue sting. (I say 'about' because there are variations in the bulb count per string, and variations in the actual color mix. Plus, you can use the spare bulbs but they are usually one red and one yellow, but sometimes that varies.)

I also made a little tool from a metal putty spatula that helps pull the lights of the sockets. Sorry - I can't find the photo I have of it.

Also, in post #4 and #5, when you cut the strings to length, do you have to add rectifiers or anything to the strings?

You can lengthen or shorten the strings, but note that they may dim differently for different LED counts. For shorter, you must also increase the size (wattage) of the resistor (or use multiple) as more of the voltage is dropped across the resistor and not the LEDs. I try to be conservative here as the dimming difference and power concerns start to grow.

You do NOT have to change them to full-wave to shorten them. In general, you could convert them to full-wave by the typical method, and maybe increase the resistances slightly, but I myself don't bother with the full-wave conversion. The half-wave flicker is visible, but frankly for me, I still see the full-wave flicker (in peripheral vision) so I don’t see that it’s worth the effort to change them.

If you are not using those particular lights, you would likely make similar changes.

If anybody can advise, I would appreciate. I am trying to understand how to do things without spending a ton of money. Any diagrams would help as well as a list of parts I would need and where to obtain.
If my description above is not adequate, PM me and I will help you - as I said, I've used a LOT of these strings and am constantly modifying them for color and length.

Jimboha

Last edited:
Yeah, that's when I get mine. 50% after Christmas (starting Christmas Eve day, I believe), down to 75% off New Year's day. 90% off about a week later, for whatever is left.

Jimboha

Back