LEDs in snow

deplanche

I live in one of the areas where we can get a decent amount of snowfall in in decemeber. All of my outdoor lights are currently C9s or minis. Unless we get a major snowfall or my lights aren't on for that long, I find that they will melt the snow around the bulb so that it will shine thru pretty well. What I am wondering is since LEDs don't generate much heat to melt the snow, will they still be able to be seen?

No. In all reality, they will not melt the snow. That's the whole point of their 98% improvement in electrical usage. No wasted energy to heat. All the energy goes to photon production.

This is an interesting side effect of LED usage I've not seen anyone discuss yet!

That's the whole point of their 98% improvement in electrical usage. No wasted energy to heat. All the energy goes to photon production

Yep.. and thats why there isn't anything more pretty than viewing those regular Christmas lights shining thru the slightly melted white snow at night-time . :D

and thats also why everything has it "plus's" and "minus's"

I live in Oklahoma so we deal with wind and rain more than snow.
However, last year we had a real bad storm that was ice and snow.
We lost power for over a week. When the power finally came back on my lights were completely covered with this mixture of ice and snow. It was white enough I could not see the lights.
I started the display and was pleasantly surprised that the lights were visible shining through the snow. It did not look as good as regular Christmas lights shining through the slightly melted snow. I do agree with TREBObob.
My display was a mixture of LED and incandescent.
Anyway, later that night I went out to see how many people were watching the show (we all do that) and I was not as pleased.
Having a mixture of lights did not look as good (to me). Some areas of the display were melting snow and others were not. They are two different looks that both look good until you mix them.
Just my opinion, like I said most of the time here we don’t worry about snow so I am still going with LED.

Back