Light-o-Rama

Welcome to DIY,
Sorry LOR products onlt work with LOR software. :)
If you chose to invest that kind of money in controllers you would be better off to buy there software.There tech support is great too...

not only that but they have the worlds best lighting software developer working for them, NOW !

RJ said:
not only that but they have the worlds best lighting software developer working for them, NOW !
Check's in the mail, bro!

Yeah, any LOR hardware requires LOR software, plain and simple. For the foreseeable future, at least.

Thanks.

Anyway, how hard is it to build your own? I have no electrical knowledge, however I'm very good with the computer, my dad is very good with electrical things. Also, on average how much is it to built a 16 channel controller? Thanks.

christmaslover012 said:
What if I build the controller myself from their DIY kits? Do I still have to use their software?

In a word, Yes. They have a lock on the comunication to their PIC. Another company, D-Light has figured out the protocol and LOR can control D-Light's boards too.

I've discussed the public release of the protocol face to face with the owner of LOR on two occasions, and often through email/PM. But it seems he is happy to limit those who buy his hardware to one software package.

While Vixen is light years ahead of LOR in functionality (I have experience with both...) KC is on-board with the development of LOR II, and I for one cannot wait for it's release. Since I knew nothing about this DIY community until after I had already assembled 144 channels of LOR, that's where I'll keep my control... hoping and praying KC and I can eventually wear 'em down for a public release....
Jeff

No again, to D-Light. D-Light actually reverse engineered the LOR protocol and therefore is nearly the same. This was not a good thing amongst friends, instead of suing; LOR took advantage of the situation and will be expanding the capability of their protocol soon which will also make it incompatible with D-Light.

We’re not hackers over here, so we do have ethics.:wink: Though we could reverse engineer both protocols, out of respect for the owners and the fact that some of the programmers are closely related, don’t expect to see this capability in Vixen any time soon.

If you can figure out how to use a soldering iron, which is not hard, we have some boards that can do nearly everything that the commercial guys can. We can make our controllers at a substantially lower cost and you get the satisfaction of saying “I made that”.

We have controllers that you can make yourself, from the very simple and low cost to very capable and highly expandable. With some of the more complicated boards, you can join a group buy and get commercially made circuit boards at a low cost. In either case, you purchase your own parts, though some of these can also be part of a group buy.

Vixen will work with every one of the controllers that you find here or on ComputerChristmas.com.

ErnieHorning said:
No again, to D-Light. D-Light actually reverse engineered the LOR protocol and therefore is nearly the same. This was not a good thing amongst friends, instead of suing; LOR took advantage of the situation and will be expanding the capability of their protocol soon which will also make it incompatible with D-Light.

We’re not hackers over here, so we do have ethics.:wink: Though we could reverse engineer both protocols, out of respect for the owners and the fact that some of the programmers are closely related, don’t expect to see this capability in Vixen any time soon.

If you can figure out how to use a soldering iron, which is not hard, we have some boards that can do nearly everything that the commercial guys can. We can make our controllers at a substantially lower cost and you get the satisfaction of saying “I made that”.

We have controllers that you can make yourself, from the very simple and low cost to very capable and highly expandable. With some of the more complicated boards, you can join a group buy and get commercially made circuit boards at a low cost. In either case, you purchase your own parts, though some of these can also be part of a group buy.

Vixen will work with every one of the controllers that you find here or on ComputerChristmas.com.

How much would a 16-channel controller cost to make? I figured it out and if I did this, in the future I would have just over 16 amps of lights, however they wouldn't all be on at the same time, so could I do 15 amp or should I go up to 30. (By the way, with the 16 amps, I have something on every channel so the controller would basically be full)

The last time there was a COOP for a 16 channel Renard the PCB was $11.26 for 3 boards. The parts to go in it were $30.35. So a single 16 channel controller could have been built for $34.11 at the time. I don’t know if there is another COOP planned for this board. If another one occurs, it’s likely to be around September or so.

Also keep in mind that most house outlets are only rated for 15 amps, therefore so is the breaker. Running at or over the maximum is likely to cause undesirable results so plan your sequences accordingly.

Back