Looking for suggestions on how to uprade from single wire antenna

djshag

I currently have one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7DIRE9, but plan to switch to the Si4713 for next year.

My antenna, as it exists now, is simply a single piece of wire, connected to the ANT point on the transmitter-- both of which are housed in a single piece of PVC, mounted to my megatree pole.

There is a usb cable connecting my Pi (running FPP) to the transmitter.

I'm not thrilled with the antenna placement (or type), and would much rather be using a dipole, or some other option that allows me flexibility to optimize the location of the antenna, but I haven't had any luck finding ways to connect better antenna types to circuit boards that only have a single antenna solder point on them.

My plan for next year is to a Kulp K16 A-B, with the Si4713, which, while providing better integration with FPP as well as RDS capability, will also further restrict antenna placement (since the Si4713 board also has a single solder pad for ANT).

If anyone has any suggestions on how to connect an improved type of antenna in this scenario, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!
-Lenny

For next year I would look at Pixel Radio. It is a DIY solution with RDS and there is a long thread on this site about it.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to connect an improved type of antenna in this scenario, I would love to hear it.

Look at the board's "ANT" pad. There is a huge region of "flooded" copper that surrounds it. This is the ground plane. That's where the antenna ground needs to go.

I suggest that you use a sharp knife and scratch away the copper resist film under the ANT silkscreen's ref text to expose the bare copper area under it. You will be able to solder your antenna's ground to this bare copper region.

For next year I would look at Pixel Radio. It is a DIY solution with RDS and there is a long thread on this site about it.

PixelRadio is a fun project to build, works well, and cost is within the typical pixel lover's budget. Plus I personally know the guy that created it and know how hard he worked on it. :)

- Thomas

Look at the board's "ANT" pad. There is a huge region of "flooded" copper that surrounds it. This is the ground plane. That's where the antenna ground needs to go.

I suggest that you use a sharp knife and scratch away the copper resist film under the ANT silkscreen's ref text to expose the bare copper area under it. You will be able to solder your antenna's ground to this bare copper region.

PixelRadio is a fun project to build, works well, and cost is within the typical pixel lover's budget. Plus I personally know the guy that created it and know how hard he worked on it. :)

- Thomas

Thank you! This is very helpful.

Back