LOR Controllable DIY for RGB LED Spots

michaelc

It's been a while since I posted here. I took a bit of a leave from the whole animation thing last year due to some family stuff going on but now I'm jumping back in with both feet.

I just purchased kits to build some RGB LED flood lights and I'm looking for a way to control them with my LOR S2 software. I know Dan has a the CMB16D but they are out of stock till next year and ther CMB16D-QC is in stock but I want to connect CAT5 cable and the thought of trying to connect Quick connects to each of those cables is not something I desire trying to do. I have some DMX background and use the ENTEC USP dongle for some of my DJ'ing gigs but unless I want to fork over some large bucks for the LOR IDMX dongle, I don't think DMX is an option for me right now.

Are there any other DIY options to connect the LOR S2 software to control DIY RGB Floods?

Thanks

Sounds like your only option if using LOR S2 software is the CMB16D-QC, unfortunatly by using LOR S2 you are stuck to using nothing but LOR gear unless you go down the IDMX path but thats very expensive. Bite the bullet and use the quick connects, it really isnt that much harder to use and you really dont have much choice except...

The other choice is to use Lightshow pro which will allow you to use you LOR dongle and the enttec dongle at the same time thus giving the best of both worlds plus a heap of great sequencing tools. Then your choices of controllers dramatically increases when using DMX

For me this year i am using a ECG DR-4 an RPM DMX dongle and a LOR dongle all at the same time through LSP. Im running 90% of my LOR gear in DMX and just using 2 CCRs with the LOR dongle.

There may be other options that i dont know about

Thanks for the feedback. I've never heard of that software before. I'll look into it. I really like S2 but I also have some experience with both Freestyler and Vixen. If I was forced to change my software I'd probably compare everything with Vixen since I believe there is a LOR conversion for all my sequences.

As an aside, I've played with a bunch of different commercial software such as Chauvet Showexpress, Martin Lightjockey, Freestyler, Vixen, Daslight and some others. In terms of programming music sync, I eventually stuck with the LOR product for my residential apps and have a Chauvet DMX board and Freestyler for my DJ gigs.

Back