Low Current AC Controller

DrWizard

My display uses LEDs almost exclusively. Most channels have only 1 or 2 strings connected, so the current draw is very small. Does anyone make a less expensive AC controller for low current applications? It would seem to me that you could substitute a VO2223 (or similar) opto-triac chip (rated up to 2A) instead of an optocoupler and a big triac and save a few bucks.

I am guessing though, that in the grand scheme of things when you add the cost of all the other components, it doesn't cost that much more to do high current and so probably no-one makes a low current version.

Does anyone make a less expensive AC controller for low current applications?

Are you looking for a controller or some SSR’s? I have a bunch of SSR’s based on the VO2223A that I need to assemble but those IC’s have gone up to $1 each. I think the MOC3023 is a more cost effective approach for a 1A triac. They’re 1/2 the cost. Renard Shop used to sell an LCC-16 controller with VO2223’s on board but that’s at least $16 just for the TRIAC’s.

I have a Wireless Renard/DMX in the works that uses an ESP32, MOC3023’s and an enclosed Buck. The goal for that design is a cheaper, low power controller with a small part count. It should come in at half the cost of current Renard designs.

I have a Wireless Renard/DMX in the works that uses an ESP32, MOC3023’s and an enclosed Buck. The goal for that design is a cheaper, low power controller with a small part count. It should come in at half the cost of current Renard designs.
I am VERY interested in this, please keep me informed! I have been debating building one based on the STM32 or Mega2560 because they have plenty of GPIO pins and libraries are available to handle most of the programming. I'm also a big fan of ESP32 but it doesn't have alot of GPIO. How would you handle a high channel count, shift registers?

Are you looking for a controller or some SSR’s? I have a bunch of SSR’s based on the VO2223A that I need to assemble but those IC’s have gone up to $1 each. I think the MOC3023 is a more cost effective approach for a 1A triac. They’re 1/2 the cost. Renard Shop used to sell an LCC-16 controller with VO2223’s on board but that’s at least $16 just for the TRIAC’s.

Please keep us updated I would be interested in a low cost esp32 based controller also.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I have boards on order and will update after I get any bugs worked out. I’m only making 8 & 16 channel controllers because of the way my display is laid out.

Awesome.
So, is this is a wifi controller, running Renard or DMX protocol with onboard triacs.
I think Dirknerkle did this too; but he is now out of running a store.
I have used MOC3023's for years with appropriate triacs and its a rock solid combination.
Please post some pics and board info.
I have boards on order and will update after I get any bugs worked out. I’m only making 8 & 16 channel controllers because of the way my display is laid out.

I already have a Renard 32+ using DirkCheap SSRs with VO2223's but I have been unhappy with it. Dims and fades are very choppy and uneven. I suspect the PIC controller doesn't have the oomph to drive all the channels in a timely manner. I even went to great trouble to thoroughly test the zero-crossing detector.
I did find this Chinese one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32887621624.html 12 channels for 50 bucks, 5A per channel, thinking of ordering one to try. It uses an STM32F4 processor.

I already have a Renard 32+ using DirkCheap SSRs with VO2223's but I have been unhappy with it. Dims and fades are very choppy and uneven. I suspect the PIC controller doesn't have the oomph to drive all the channels in a timely manner. I even went to great trouble to thoroughly test the zero-crossing detector.
I did find this Chinese one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32887621624.html 12 channels for 50 bucks, 5A per channel, thinking of ordering one to try. It uses an STM32F4 processor.

There is something wrong with your controller then. I run a renard 32 for my signing faces that still use incadesant lights and there is no choppiness at all.

This can happen if your sequencing interval is too long, too. For example, if the updating is set at 60ms or greater it will look choppy -- the larger the interval, the choppier it will appear. If the interval is 50ms or less you should be okay -- that equates to 20 updates per second (essentially 20 frames per second -- very close to the framerate for shooting movies).

Also, if you're not using the right firmware for that big pic that's on the 32+ it can result in curious results.

Back