Manual Update

Aurbo99

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got a laptop with Vixen 2.0.6.0 installed.

I cannot connect the laptop to my network for security reasons.

How can someone go about manually updating Vixen?

I'm sorry if my answer seems insulting but have you tried downloading the latest version from vixenlights.com and copying to a flashdrive. Or if you have no flashdrive, you could connect your laptop to your computer with a cross connect cable and map a network drive. Then its just a matter of click and drag.

Hope that helps
Leon

EDIT - Perhaps I should clarify something. You have no way to download an update? Or is your laptop the only thing you can't put on the network?

Last edited:
Flash drive is the way to go. Save either the newest release onto it, and install on the laptop. Or just install it on a computer with internet, and then copy it onto the flashdrive and then to the laptop.

At the moment run the whole lot off the flash drive and then on the day you are going to go live copy the files onto the laptop, this is sort of how I do mine.

I have my Vixen on my flash drive so that I can have a bit of a fiddle at work, or at home in the house or out in the garage on the lights computer. When I am ready to go live I will just copy the folder off the flash drive onto the lights computer.

Jon

At the moment run the whole lot off the flash drive and then on the day you are going to go live copy the files onto the laptop, this is sort of how I do mine.

I have my Vixen on my flash drive so that I can have a bit of a fiddle at work, or at home in the house or out in the garage on the lights computer. When I am ready to go live I will just copy the folder off the flash drive onto the lights computer.

Jon

Does Vixen follow the Drive change?
ie, Vixen on the flash is Drive E:
while on the host it's going to be drive C: then under various directories.

I mean, that the music is in a directory called Audio, while the sequences are under Sequences directory.
These names don't change but their actual location under the different structure on the show computer does.

Last edited:
Sandy, keep it all in a directory/folder called Vixen or whatever with all your sub directories in that and then you can move it around to your hearts content. Just run the vixen.exe file from the folder. Have a try and you will see what I mean.

What you will need to do though is, when you are ready to go live, setup the correct path to vixen so that it starts up when if your computer reboots.

Jon

Sandy, keep it all in a directory/folder called Vixen or whatever with all your sub directories in that and then you can move it around to your hearts content. Just run the vixen.exe file from the folder. Have a try and you will see what I mean.

What you will need to do though is, when you are ready to go live, setup the correct path to vixen so that it starts up when if your computer reboots.

Jon

Thanks,
that's what I was hoping it would do.
The show computer runs off a UPS so the reboot generally isn't an issue,
altho I do generally do a reboot once a week as a Windows precaution.

Back