Mardi gras float?

Rocketman4

Has any one done a float for a parade. Mardi gras? Honda makes an Inverter that has clean power for computer circuits and such.

The only mardi gras in Sydney is probably something I would not really want to have a float in :D But it would be cool to see Vixen & the home made gear being used in such a way....

I'm not much into Mardi Gras, seeing as how I've lived here in Mobile all my life.

I DO however, use Vixen with a Generator for Christmas parades.
I've done the parade the last 2 years. This year, I'll probably skip the parade and go back to the Boat parade of lights.

I've thought about doing the Mardi Gras thing, but hanging out with a bunch of arrogant drunks just makes me decide its not worth the trouble.

If any one is wondering the Sydney Mardi Gras Dave notes, is the "Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras".
I doesn't match my life style. I would however love to see some of the local parades be electrified.

Has any one done a float for a parade. Mardi gras? Honda makes an Inverter that has clean power for computer circuits and such.

I've been part of many floats in both Baton Rouge and New Orleans over the years. While most of them are just static lights, now that I have a bunch of Renards that might change. Honda's EU series generators are great for electronics. I have the EU3000iSA that I use in my enclosed trailer when we go to races. It runs computers, TV's, and a Vinyl cutter with no issues.

At a heavy load the 3000 can get about 8 hours of run time on 3.4 gallons of fuel. At 25% load it runs for a long time, I think they say 20 hours. The smaller units are really nice and super portable and all of them are real quite. Either way they are well worth the money.

James

And of course there are relatively inexpensive 1000w inverters for a quieter power supply that still yields quite a bit of power for lighting. If the float vehicle has a motor, it likely has a built-in charging system for the battery. :cool:

And of course there are relatively inexpensive 1000w inverters for a quieter power supply that still yields quite a bit of power for lighting. If the float vehicle has a motor, it likely has a built-in charging system for the battery. :cool:

Most floats are pulled by tractors or other trucks. You could use a cheap inverter running off of the 12v pulling vehicle to run the laptop/computer and a cheap generator to poer the lights.

For Christmas last year I used a small inverter in my Jeep Cherokee (cigarette lighter connector - 400W) to power my computer, monitor and stereo. On the trailer (float portion) I used a 1000W inverter connected to a car battery - not connected to anything.

Had 6 actors, 8 channels and about a 12 block route (not sure how much wattage). Just as I was parking the rig at the staging area at the end of the parade, the inverter began to alarm low battery - YIKES, that was close.

If I do another float, I'll connect the trailer to the Jeeps DC power or run a small generator.

Greg

Back