"Matrix" across whole yard on ground

Randomaker

Hello everyone, I had an idea for adding some pixels to my mostly AC show.

I was thinking of making a sort of matrix across my whole yard with very wide spacing, perhaps 2 foot.
It would probably consist of strings of some type of larger than normal nodes, which have been cut apart and spaced out with extra wire.
They would then just be staked down across the yard to make a grid with multiple strings.

I am trying to figure out what kind of pixels to use.

My first plan was to use these, as they are a great price, but they appear to be kind of cheaply made and not as waterproof as they should be.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...3537!sh&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

While looking into more ball-style pixels, I found these, which seem to be the standard ones that most people use, but they are a bit pricey.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...8239!sh&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

Then I started looking at more flat ones, like these, which are an OK price, still more expensive than the first, but they are directional, so I would have to make sure that they lay facing up.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251...2501!sh&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

I am going for mostly just seeing a flash or point of light coming from each node, I don't necessarily need a large visible globe or anything.
Here is an example of the general effect I am going for, but maybe even slightly less pronounced than the first photo.
https://www.amazon.com/Lawn-Lights-...ocphy=9006760&hvtargid=pla-306993646076&psc=1

Has anyone done anything similar, and what kind of pixels did you use?
Or has anyone used any of these for any other purpose and could you recommend one of these or something else?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Assuming you dont have a lot of snow, pixabulbs are dual WS2811 in a housing. You could also go for a 6 or 8 pixel ring in a printed housing. I use 10 and 20 pixel rings in an RBL.

I also thought about using normal bullets, they may or may not be bright enough. But each pixel would need its own stake which would mean much more setup than just laying out a string and staking it down.

I also thought about using normal bullets, they may or may not be bright enough. But each pixel would need its own stake which would mean much more setup than just laying out a string and staking it down.

I had Ray build some custom 5VDC 2811's with 8" spacing, I then put PVC shells over them. I run my pixels at 35% brightness and these are plenty bright still. Of course we don't get a whole lot of snow in my part of Tennessee.

The 8" spacing gives me about 34 feet of overall length, without the need for power inject. During testing, I ran the strings at 100% brightness and could see the need for power injection when running white.

As you said, it is a bit more set up, but it is not as bad as one would think. The stakes from Canny Systems makes installation a little easier.

-Tony

Last edited:
Ok thanks, that's what I decided would be the best to do. You don't happen to have any pictures, do you? I'm trying to figure out what spacing I want.

Ok thanks, that's what I decided would be the best to do. You don't happen to have any pictures, do you? I'm trying to figure out what spacing I want.

I don't run a grid. I used the stakes to outline yard features like sidewalks and edging is all.

One note on the PVC shells, I ended up having to superglue them together, to prevent loosing the small inserts while handling rough.

-Tony

I don't run a grid. I used the stakes to outline yard features like sidewalks and edging is all.

One note on the PVC shells, I ended up having to superglue them together, to prevent loosing the small inserts while handling rough.

-Tony

One more question. Do you remember how much the custom strings costed? Is it significantly more than the stock ones? I forgot Ray did customs, I was planning on cutting them apart and adding wire myself.

Rando, what I do might be what your looking for on a budget, you would still need to order the strings with a custom spacing.

I use Ping-pong balls on my pixels, I'm not a full fan of just the led pointing out, they are too bright and direct I like the illumination of lights. I found that the best way was to melt a hole in them, I use a 3/8 socket extension when the end ground down to a dull point, heat it up with a torch and poke holes in the balls. I melt holes in a bout three or 4 then push the bullet pixels in, when the plastic of the balls cool it shrinks a bit and acts like glue. I have not got water in the balls so far. The lights glow really nice, I do run them at a higher percentage, 80-100 depending on where they are located. You will need good power sources, I use HP Server power supplies, multi 430watt and 1200watt units.

Would love to go further in depth if you like. I will dig up some photos.

Rando, what I do might be what your looking for on a budget, you would still need to order the strings with a custom spacing.

I use Ping-pong balls on my pixels, I'm not a full fan of just the led pointing out, they are too bright and direct I like the illumination of lights. I found that the best way was to melt a hole in them, I use a 3/8 socket extension when the end ground down to a dull point, heat it up with a torch and poke holes in the balls. I melt holes in a bout three or 4 then push the bullet pixels in, when the plastic of the balls cool it shrinks a bit and acts like glue. I have not got water in the balls so far. The lights glow really nice, I do run them at a higher percentage, 80-100 depending on where they are located. You will need good power sources, I use HP Server power supplies, multi 430watt and 1200watt units.

Would love to go further in depth if you like. I will dig up some photos.

I was wondering if ping pong balls would work. I will probably try without first and then if it doesn't look great I will definitely try adding some balls. Thanks for the idea!

One more question. Do you remember how much the custom strings costed? Is it significantly more than the stock ones? I forgot Ray did customs, I was planning on cutting them apart and adding wire myself.

When I bought them, they were $8.00 per string. Currently they are running $11.50 per string. Ray will make most strings to your specifications. If there is a particular type of string you are looking for, it does not hurt to ask if they will customize it for you.

-Tony

Back