MBI/Allegro supplier?

jpb

Hi,
I have just cooked a few of my Allegros and while I think I will get by having a spare on hand would be nice. Have any of you found a supplier down here with a suitable chip? If not I will try to source a few from the states.

How I did it?
Lat year I made my own 595s and SSRs on strip board. For one of them I made them seperate and for some reason I mounted the current limitting resistors on the 595 and not in the SSR. I forgot this fact and this year recycled two of the SSRs and hooked them to the Grinch without limiting the current.
I knew I had a crook SSR but also "knew my old ones were fine because they worked last year" Big mistake...

I am now resurecting two of the 595s to replace the burnt out Allegro. Thank goodness for the change output channel facility! If I can't get them working tonight I am big trouble from the wife. Couldn't sleep last night with worry.

Jon

Hi,first up i admit to being new to this flashing light game, i have purchesed two 'grinch' boards a renard 64 and more ssr boards that i will still be putting them together in 2012, any way I am now buying all of the nessersary electronic's are these units from farnel's the same as A6279EA and the MB15027-GN as i find all these different part No's most confusing.Thank you Trevor

Trevor, the STI chips from Farnells do the same job as the Allegros or the MBIs. If you don't do any good with the free samples from Allegro You can pay $16 plus postage ($10 I think) from Farnell.

ALso, welcome aboard.

Jon

OK, thank you Jon, you have lightened my darkness so to speak, i have tried the Allegro site and recieved an e-mail etc so will just wait and see for a while. Thank you.
Trevor

Well after close to 3 months of waiting, I have finally received the sample chips from alegro. I did three requests for three diferrent addresses and I received the second one. The first request I didnt follow any of the tips in the Allegro sample request topic, but for the 2 + 3 request I did. All I can recomend is to follow the information supplied in the Allegro sample topic and hope that it will work.

Now I can start inserting all my IC's.

I have had good service from Kings in the past. their MBIs are about 1.20 each from memory.

what about buying from farnell? recently they stocked up more products and they rebranded themselves as element14.. check them out at http://au.element14.com

The doco says its a last/limited production run, no more after that. When I purchased my Allegros for my LEDTricks they had 0 in stock so bought the SMT package which is replacing the DIP24 Allegros. Grab em while you can.

Last edited:
Back