Mega Tree xlights Setup

mickisdaddy

Hello all,

This is my first year with this and I am doing a mega tree. My plan is to have 180° tree with 16 strands. I was planning on connecting two strands together #1 going down and #2 going up etc all the way through the 16 strands. 1 and 2 will go to the first plug on my Alphapix controller 3 and 4 to the second and so on. How do I set that up in xlights? Is there a better way? One of the reasons I am doing this is so I will have a way to add a star to the top of the mega tree.

Thanks
Sean

Are you hooking up the tree feeding at the top? ("#1 going down and #2 going up etc...")
For what you are describing: Inside xLights, create your tree. #of Strings would be 8, Nodes/string would be the total of the complete pair (e.g., 50 up and 50 down would be 100). Strands/String would be 2.

That's exactly how I set mine up and I had the same question, Xlights is smarter than you think. You can also use the Visualise feature on the controllers tab to confirm the settings or literally drag & drop the output settings. I'm using expansion boards just for my tree and I was curious how it would assign the right port numbers, the visualise feature really helped.

Also you can hop into the Xlights support Zoom call for assurance. That's where I found out about the visualise feature. There's always someone there and they had my configuration confirmed in 30 seconds.

The question about starting was to find out where you are actually connecting your strings to your controller.
Most are from the bottom left as seen from the front (bottom right from the rear). I also have one tree that connects at the top. Special circumstance, so not to be considered "normal" by any means.

And yes, by telling xLights that you are using 8 "strings" you are actually telling it to use 8 outputs on your controller.
The zig-zag is in the "Stands-per-string" setting.

Back