Moving Heads Clear Dome

TomsLEDs

Supporting Member
Waterproof moving heads are super expensive. Does someone have a lead to where you can buy clear domes to protect a moving head from rain?

Just a wild, insane thought, but you might take a look at chemistry lab beakers and other chem lab containers. The glass is generally good quality and they have plenty of sizes.

Waterproof moving heads are super expensive. Does someone have a lead to where you can buy clear domes to protect a moving head from rain?

I have a gimble light I have been toying with, the only thing stopping me from putting it in a show is rain/morning dew. I have an old aquarium I was toying with as a possibility, but was concerned about the moisture that would inevitably get on the inside.

-Tony

The dome I posted will be too short to house the entire fixture. My plan will be to build a round base with walls tall enough to sit the light down in so you can't see the main body. Attach the dome on top of that. I will also install a very small computer cooling fan (or similar) to prevent moisture. It really depends on the operating voltage of the moving head. I have done this with my 16 channels DMX board that has a clear lid on the housing box and it has stayed bone dry for 2 years in a row.

My other concern is light diffusion. How much refraction will there be? It also may be a good thing as it may add to the show, but won't know until I try.

Last edited:
Back