My Mega star revisited...

Jeff Millard

Hi,

I finally got the Mig out and welded up the star for my mega tree. The last two times out it was made of #6 jacketed ground wire taped to a 3/8" steel bar. Now I've bent and welded 5/16" bar to it. I had intended to make ten sections rather than 5, but my welding skills leave something to be desired. I'll take it to work and wire brush it, then sandblast it. A little Rust Oleum and then I'll put the ropelight sections back on it with an updated cable to power it. Man I'm glad that's done. I used the grinder to remove about 3 times the weld material I left on the thing. It got better as I went along, but I've got a ways to go before I can readily create wireframes...

Hey Wayne... do you think Rousch needs a new welding apprentice?!? :razz:

Jeff

Nice job. I think the star looks awesome!

Your welding skills may have something to be desired but atleats you have welding skills. I have a brand new wire feed welder, some leather gloves and an awesome professional auto-darkening hood but I have never welded anything, ever. I hope to fix that this weekend when I get some hands on lessons from the weld master himself, Wayne J.

I used the grinder to remove about 3 times the weld material I left on the thing. It got better as I went along, but I've got a ways to go before I can readily create wireframes...

When welding, the grinder is my best friend. It'll take off all bad welds. (And of course, when using any power tool, always remember to wear your safety gear, esp. your safety glasses)

Great looking Star!!!

Looks great to me Jeff!

[edit]Are you going to animate it or light it up altogether? I think I'd like to attempt something like that for the top of my mega-tree but I'm thinking I'll just have it all light up... give it a 3D-like effect.

Again, great job!

Last edited:
Looks awesome Jeff! I wish I had a welder... heck I wish I had a garage to put a welder in! Let alone the experience... Put up a pic when you get the rope on?

John

OK, Here's the ropelight back in place!!!! Time is flying by. It won't be long before the grass stops growing and I can get the rest of the tree back up. I'm adding some more clear minis this year so it will fill in a little when I blatently copy Carson's WIW....

Jeff

Back