Need Help Finding a Sphere

lboucher

Hi All

I have a project idea stuck in my head and cannot seem to find a part I need.
Without disclosing too much detail, I need to make an LED light ball.

Size can be anywhere from 2" diamter to 6" diameter, but i want to densly pack leds around the entire surface. (They don't have to be super dense, but no more than 1 led diameter between them.) And i am looking for a total led count of at least 50-100 or as many as it takes.

Any good ideas about how to construct something like this.
It would be cool if i could find a hollow 100 face polyhedron and then just drill out every flat surface, but where would i find such a thing.

Thoughts??

Thanks

I've seen ready-made light spheres - GE makes some - you could retrofit as required. It's two halves so all the wires go inside and little rubber bands (more like O rings) hold the halves together. Just google around for GE christmas spheres.

Hi:
I have no idea if this would work or not, but you might try to find one of those balls that are hung above dance floors. They are covered with small mirrors and they shine lights on them.

Also, look into how sparkle balls are made. They use plastic cups and strings of lights, but maybe you could get some ideas from that type of construction.

Hi:
I have no idea if this would work or not, but you might try to find one of those balls that are hung above dance floors. They are covered with small mirrors and they shine lights on them.

Also, look into how sparkle balls are made. They use plastic cups and strings of lights, but maybe you could get some ideas from that type of construction.

Here is the link
www.sparkleball.com
once you make some she will even add you to her map of SB makers:cool:. I actually use a glue gun to make the holes for the bulbs and then glue the cups together to form the ball.

Last edited:
Most craft stores have clear acrylic ornament balls. They come as two halves that press together. Several people have half of a 2" ball as the clear lens to cover LED MR16 bulbs when placed in PVC pipe.

Back