New Guy question about light prices

stephenwolf

Hi every one, I have question about prices: I am new to all this and want to do a setup for next year. I know the best time to buy lights is right after Christmas, or so I have heard, but I am wondering what the experience has been.

What have you guys found to be the best time and place to buy lights and what is the price point you usually aim for?

I ask because I have been seeing some (what I think) good deals on mini lights lately but I don't know what the standard price will be after Christmas, so I am not sure whether to start stocking up now or wait it out a couple of weeks.

Thanks

jmelvin said:
Last year I bought 100ct mini's for .25 a box at walmart.

I've got them 2 years in a row at that price. I waited till about the 2nd week in Jan. before I bought them, but I started watching the prices / quantity right after christmas and bought just before they packed up the unsold lights.

Last year there was not much laft after Christmas. Most reported nothing more than clear minis left over. The retailers must not have ordered as much as in years past. I was able to get my hands on 100 boxes of 100ct clear minis last year, thats it. Nothing else was available. Some lucked out but not me. I paid .50 per box.

For regular minis i would buy them right after christmas but if you are going to buy LED's then i would wait because the technology is still getting better.

I bought a whole bunch of white and gold minis cheap. Only use 8 of them so far this. I bought a ton of new ones after Halloween. I needed colors though so ended up with buying more because I couldn't find what I needed last year.

AT this point I am up to 23,000 minis. Some from last year, but lots new this year. Also I have extra for when I want to play with stuff during the off season.

ms

I hit the Target stores the day after for 50% off and then they went to 75% after a few days. It varies between stores when the 75% hits. If you are after multi colored minis, there were tons here at 75% off. It was like the day after Thanksgiving if you wanted LEDs. Some solid colors were arround for a few days. That was store dependent too. Hit the Targets in the ritzy places for the best selection on the cheap lights.

I saw that Lowes was running minis at $1.50 a box and they had solid colors, I asked at 2 stores and they said that they were not getting any other christmas stuff in, so what they had was all they were going to have. They both had lots of clear and multi but the colors were almost gone, so I went ahead and cleaned them both out of blue, red, and green, and picked up some clears.

Seemed to me that it would be better to get the numbers I wanted now at an OK price then have to risk waiting and not get much, seeing as most stores appear to be stocking much less and I am just starting out and have nothing.

So I guess I have to update my signature now to say: 0 channels and 20,000 lights :)

This christmas light stuff is going to be the end of me. lol.

stephenwolf said:
I saw that Lowes was running minis at $1.50 a box and they had solid colors, I asked at 2 stores and they said that they were not getting any other christmas stuff in, so what they had was all they were going to have. They both had lots of clear and multi but the colors were almost gone, so I went ahead and cleaned them both out of blue, red, and green, and picked up some clears.

Seemed to me that it would be better to get the numbers I wanted now at an OK price then have to risk waiting and not get much, seeing as most stores appear to be stocking much less and I am just starting out and have nothing.

So I guess I have to update my signature now to say: 0 channels and 20,000 lights :)

This christmas light stuff is going to be the end of me. lol.

I noticed this and I am going to jump on it.

Ben

Back