non Christmas idea help needed

pucksterdave21

I have been on these forums for a few years now, just dying to get in and give things a shot.

I have read A LOT but I was wondering if this idea I had was possible.

I run a little league in a small town / county in Indiana. Our current old scoreboard is on its last leg. I looked around and the prices are crazy for a replacement scoreboard even the most basic kind.

My idea was to see if there was some way to buy some LED panels or even use strips to make something in the area of 4' x 5' and that I could use as a scoreboard. From what i have read it seems pretty straight forward, but I had 2 questions that i was not 100% on or that I could find answers from by reading.

1) could I get the LEDs bright enough to be seen well during the day? and if so would the cost go up a lot for brighter daytime LEDs?

2) would it be possible to control this real time instead of having to run sequences? meaning, I would need to be able to change the scores, outs, walks, innings, that kind of thing on the fly. I would really like to be able to put the batters on the screen and maybe even do some advertising. just wasn't sure how easy it would be to do on the fly.

any thoughts would be helpful. Like I said we are a small town and wouldn't have the funding or the sponsorship to do something like this commercially.

thanks
Dave

I would make a horizontal matrix out of flex strips

But a 48" x 14' polycarbonate 16mm Geenhouse panel, $198
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/16mm-polycarbonate-bronze/polycarbonate-panels

flex strips are 15.5mm with the sleeve. Slide the flex strips inside.

get 32 strips of tm1809 4m strips
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...s-TM1809IC-m-30pcs-5050/701799_425556741.html
$42 each

get a falcon pi player. it allows typing data and having it display in real time onto your displays.

get 2 e682 controllers, each can drive 16 flex strips.
$180 ea

you will need two 12v power supplies
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...230V-input-DC5V-output/701799_1750596067.html
$20 each

This is around $1662. Add cables, connectors, framing lumber and you will be right around $2000. The majority of the costs will be the lights.

i dont know if that is what you were looking for.

description qty price ext
polycarbonate greenhouse panel 1 198 198
32 1809 flex strips 32 42 1344
falcon pi player 1 80 80
12v power supplies, 400w 2 20 40

If I was to make one from scratch, here is what I would do.

LEDs should be 300 led 5m 12vdc strips on black backgrounds. If not waterproof, make them so by dunking in polyurethane stain (clear). Make 7 segment displays with them on black background.

Use low side mosfets to turn on the grounds for the strips.

Use a 74hc595 shift register to drive the gates.

Use quad differential driver and receiver chips to send clock data and strobe long distance without fault.

Use a micro controller in the booth to send out the pattern to display. Have switchs to count up or down the various scores and balls and strikes and inning, etc

Back