not so Mega Tree?

ibby1

I have been reading the posts about building a 20+ foot Mega Tree. Although I would love to do something like that, it just not possible.

I would like to build a large tree 10-14 feet tall. If possible I would like the whole thing out PVC including the Trunk. I don't want to dig up the yard an pour cement. Is this possible and has anyone done it?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Ibby

i would suggest the main pole be metal electrical condiut. pvc bend too easy it will become spegetti.

tconley,

Thanks for the quick response. I could see doing it with metal Electrical condiut but what to do about the trunk base. Any ideas to securing it without a cement foundation like the flagpole mega trees?

Ibby

i've used PVC for "temporary" antenna mounts.... (In college, I defined temporary as 2-3 years) and after a few months in the sun, PVC becomes like a wet noodle.

ibby1 said:
tconley,

Thanks for the quick response. I could see doing it with metal Electrical condiut but what to do about the trunk base. Any ideas to securing it without a cement foundation like the flagpole mega trees?

Ibby

what I'll do is make a flat plate of wood or steel, and then make a circular receiver, and then use maybe rebar (or gigantic nails) pounded through, into the grass... that probably makes no sense....

Off topic but IS_IT_X-MAS i love your cat picture.

how many strands could l realistically put on a 1" pvc mast or metal conduit?. I was blown away that some sites say that a flag pole can't hold the weight.

Here is what I did for the base of my tree
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=59

This is all made out of PVC and disassembles in to 3 sections for easy storage. Down the center is where the main mast would go. I originally used PVC (shown here http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6405523 )
This was 2 1/2" I believe and 10' tall. (the diameter of the base was 5') This 3" pvc sat into another piece of pvc that was 3" by 3 ft long. I drove this piece in to the ground 1 1/2 feet and slid the 10' piece into it. As for the top of it, I slit 2" lenghts around the top of the pipe and slid the last light down this to keep it in place. This pole started to warp when the sun hit it. So I spent 30 bucks and got a 1 3/4" steel pole. For more info on the dimensions and parts used, PM me. As for lights on it, This year I am doing 1 single color on the tree and it will be 16 channels. each channel will consists of 3 or 4 sets of 100 lights.

I have a video somewhere. If I can find it, I will post it. This is my first year at this.

Ibby,
Look at my avatar. The tree can also be seen on my site, the link is in my sig. That tree has a pvc frame. It is a kit you can buy at www.christmaslightshow.com from Darryl Brown. It is the PVC Tree Kit. It stands 10' tall.

Any questions let me know.

My idea

Take a look here:
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=956

If you can figure out how to get a square peg in a round hole, you can probably do something similar?

Er... disclaimer - I haven't actually put this thing completely together, but it seems like it will work - the base goes in the ground, lights held to the ground with tent stakes. Probably additional rope / wires to support it - I'll have to see. I'm hoping to get it set up tonight.

I hope the UV doesn't affect it too much...

I just pounded a piece of thick dowel about 3' long into the lawn and slipped the end of the PVC over it. I put up some support wires (fishing line) and it stayed stable. The lights were secured with tent stakes at the ground.

PVC did work for me, but make sure you get a thick enough piece with a decent diameter (I used 11/4", I wouldn't go much slimmer). Also, make sure your lights are balanced around the tree. Having it a little bit off can bend the pole a whole lot.

-Matt

Go to the fencing dept. at your favorite home center and take a look at the fencing posts and top rails for chain link fence. I have those used in my mega.

Back