P10 panels on working garage door

TomsLEDs

Supporting Member
My 2024 project is to mount P10 panels on my steel panel garage door so it could still be opened and closed. I can fit 3 each 6" high panels per 20" door section. Probably just do 6 high by 4 wide (36" H X 48" W) for now. Thinking of weight issues.

Anyone done this? I have seen it in videos and not sure if the door was still operational or out of commission during the season?

Last edited:
Weight is a definite issue that you will have to work with. Adjusting the lift mechanism is sometimes beyond what some can do safely. Also, the springs need to be able to handle the added weight as well.

It can be done, but with a lot of thought. I snapped a spring because it was not able to handle the total weight of the door and devices mounted to it. No different than putting panels on it.

I added a 4' x 8' panel matrix to our double garage door this year. I used square pixels to keep the profile to a minimum. At first the door could not open due to the extra weight. I went up 1/2 turn on both springs, and then the door wouldn't close. I backed off 1/4 turn and it works perfectly. I watched a very good video on YT and it was easy to make the adjustment. Caution though, it can cause serious injury if you are not careful.

I used 6 of these panels from Boscoyo https://boscoyostudio.com/product/modular-matrix-panels-v4/ . I bought white because our last home had light colored garage doors. I would have bought black if I had to do it over again. Gave me a roughly 4' x 8' matrix. Each panel holds 168 pixels in 4 rows of 42. The sections of my garage door are 24" high, so 3 matrix panels would fit over each section. I centered the matrix panels over the center 2 sections (door is 8' tall). I supported the top of the Matrix with 3/4" EMT as it had a tendency to warp a bit. I used custom spaced square pixels from Ray to keep a really low profile, with a sheet of clear plastic between the door and the wiring to keep any from being pinched. I used elastic straps at the bottom to keep the bottom of the Matrix from catching on the door frame when the door comes down. Pics of bare panels and panels installed attached.

Attachments

• Matrix Panel.PNG
    Matrix Panel.PNG
    336.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Matrix Panels on Door 50.jpg
    Matrix Panels on Door 50.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 19
Thanks for posting guys. I am trying to get better resolution which is why I was thinking of P10 panels. Doing some digging around on garage door setups I ran across a setup that had Epson super short throw projectors w/ 480 resolution. Doesn't sound like much as compared to todays TV standards, but it's way higher than my 34x30 matrix. No mounting to the door either. A refurbed Epson can be bought for $200. I would just have to erect a temp frame work over the garage door to mount it and make it weatherproof. The other side of the coin is now leaning to coordinate videos with sequences.

rstehle: Really like the setup you did. I may do that as well if I don't figure out the projector project by the summer.

Back