Packing universes: reducing channels per universe to minimize network traffic?

I went through every espixel stick and created the attached spreadsheet for the wireless & device setup values as well as the FPP network settings. I found a few issues with channel count on the renard controllers and some gateways that were set to the WAP IP. But other than that I didn't find anything else wrong. I fixed those that I found and updated the spreadsheet. I also went through the patching in Vixen and the only issues I found there were some extra color mapping items on single color AC lights. I removed those and repatched the outputs. I am working on exporting all the master FPP sequences and will try again but after fixing the ESPixelStick issues that didn't fix it.

Attachments

• Christmas 2023 Config Data.xlsx
    17.2 KB · Views: 1
I went through every espixel stick and created the attached spreadsheet for the wireless & device setup values as well as the FPP network settings. I found a few issues with channel count on the renard controllers and some gateways that were set to the WAP IP. But other than that I didn't find anything else wrong. I fixed those that I found and updated the spreadsheet. I also went through the patching in Vixen and the only issues I found there were some extra color mapping items on single color AC lights. I removed those and repatched the outputs. I am working on exporting all the master FPP sequences and will try again but after fixing the ESPixelStick issues that didn't fix it.

Which OS are you using ?

I recall having to do a tweak to win7 Ultimate to get FPP and wlan0 recognized and working .
If I remember correctly , it had to do with the IP --->

&

after the tweak , I was able to see both IP's in FPP and all played nice.

Last edited:
Which OS are you using ?

I recall having to do a tweak to win7 Ultimate to get FPP and wlan0 recognized and working .
If I remember correctly , it had to do with the IP --->

&

after the tweak , I was able to see both IP's in FPP and all played nice.

My vixen programming computer is Windows 10. The weird thing is that this all worked last year. All I changed was upgrade 4 ESPixelPop?s to ESPixelStick V3 to do local sequencing for less wifi congestion. They work but none of the old stuff works that has been working for the last 3-4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is your setup fpp master-slave with wifi on the side ?

if so , that sounds interesting but wouldn't timing become an issue ?

Is your setup fpp master-slave with wifi on the side ?

if so , that sounds interesting but wouldn't timing become an issue ?

Everything is wifi. I have a master RPi 3B+ and 2 remote pi zeros running a tube to sign and a mega tree. The rest of the controllers are various ESP01?s running wifi renards and Wifi SSR?s for AC lights. There are still ESPixelPops running a couple lower count pixel strings. The rest of the pixels are now ESPixelStick V3s running the higher count pixels with local sequences to help the latency issues. They work great and the FPP remotes just nothing else.

Jchuhla has helped me to find out that there is no data coming from the FPP to those universes. 1, 8-11. We used SacnView to determine that. Just do not know why yet.

Yes patching absolutely matters. That?s what connects the elements to the right output channels. It determines which channels everything is on in the sequence.

I don?t know off hand what testing functionality is in your version of FPP. But you could use that and send a test pattern out to all configured channels. That would rule out empty sequences being the problem.

I have completely checked all the patching and fixed a couple items that would have just had some pixels out of order if doing a chase. I re-exported all the Master FPP sequences for my 5 songs. Using the attached export settings for each. The unchecked controllers are the the local sequence ESPixelStick V3 boards and the remote FPP driven Mega Tree.

Vixen V3 Export Dialog.png

Well for now I set all the lights to static or rainbow (dumb rgb?s) using the pixel stick testing UI. At least my yard isn?t mostly dark now.

Explain? The FSEQ sequences are exported from Vixen3 and copied into the FPP running on the Pi.

Maybe my misunderstanding , but I thought the 3B+ was running your show/sequences and required all the data to be included in the FSeq

So I finally had a chance this weekend to take the RPi down and upgrade FPP from V4.2 to V5.2. Everything works great now. I had checked everything in my network and watch Canispater Christmas video on loading FPP and didn?t see anything different from what I had set up. So I figured it had something to do with V4.2 not handling remote sequences along with mutisync from the FPP master. Apparently that was the problem. Thanks to [mention]MartinMueller2003 [/mention]& [mention]Jonchuchla [/mention]for all your help. I learned a lot about how to check SACN data.

It's not a bad idea to step upgrade when you're making such a big jump. But when it comes to FPP, you should try to be no more than a year behind the current build. It's best to be upgrading your FPPs annually. If you find some more time, perhaps after the season, try to bring it all the way forward to whatever's current at the end of this season.

Under many cases I would agree. However there are some cases of "If it aint broke, dont fix it". I have latest FPP V7 on my singing faces FPP but my main FPP is still on 5.5. I tried to get it to work with FPP 7 but my sound card (hat) keeps getting issues and sounds horrible on the new OS. It works, I am leaving it alone. :)

When I upgrade major versions on my FPPs, I typically alternate SD cards. I?ll save the working one and load up a new one with the new version. Then I set up the new one with by restoring the backup of the old. If something doesn?t work right in the new version I can just swap cards and put the old one back in.
With FPP, there?s so much interaction between instances that I find it?s best to keep them all very close in version. And I like to keep them as current as possible so it?s easy to get and give support on them.
I did leave one of my FPPs this year on last years version. It?s my sign player and I ran out of time to test all of my custom display scripts on the new OS. So I left it for now.

It's not a bad idea to step upgrade when you're making such a big jump. But when it comes to FPP, you should try to be no more than a year behind the current build. It's best to be upgrading your FPPs annually. If you find some more time, perhaps after the season, try to bring it all the way forward to whatever's current at the end of this season.

Under many cases I would agree. However there are some cases of "If it aint broke, dont fix it". I have latest FPP V7 on my singing faces FPP but my main FPP is still on 5.5. I tried to get it to work with FPP 7 but my sound card (hat) keeps getting issues and sounds horrible on the new OS. It works, I am leaving it alone. :)

When I upgrade major versions on my FPPs, I typically alternate SD cards. I?ll save the working one and load up a new one with the new version. Then I set up the new one with by restoring the backup of the old. If something doesn?t work right in the new version I can just swap cards and put the old one back in.
With FPP, there?s so much interaction between instances that I find it?s best to keep them all very close in version. And I like to keep them as current as possible so it?s easy to get and give support on them.
I did leave one of my FPPs this year on last years version. It?s my sign player and I ran out of time to test all of my custom display scripts on the new OS. So I left it for now.

I have always followed Martin?s rule: if it ain?t broke don?t fix it. Well apparently mixing V3 and V4 pixel stick software broke it.

When I started reading the release notes at V6 there was a statement about needing to do something special. Not sure what it was so I thought I remembered Martin was using v5.2 apparently it was v5.5 so that is why I didn?t go farther.

I didn?t have a spare Pi (I do now) so I took the V4.2 out and kept it so I could go back if something went wrong in the update. I will try updating during this season or between Christmas and valentines and St Patrick?s. I leave some pixels on the house for those holidays. What steps would you suggest I take from 5.2 to V7.0?

You will need to do a full re-image to cross the gap between 5 and 6. I would take a full backup of your settings to a local file (not on the pi). From there I?d actually recommend loading a new SD card with the latest in the 7 branch. Then go thru the initial setup steps on the pi. And then restore from your backup.
You?ll always have the old card to go back to should something fail. I think you can go straight from your current version to 7. But look at the upgrade instructions on the FPP forum to be sure.

Back