Pencom relay board

rjf026

A while back some one had post asking if the 8 channel serial relay board made by pencom (http://www.pencomdesign.com/8ch_relay.htm) could be used with the Vixen software.

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a plugin that would allow it to communicate with Vixen.

It seems simple enough to do but I am not skilled in the programming area.

thanks for any help

I don't believe that this exists in the current plugins. It looks pretty straight forward to write, probably wouldn't take much time. Do you currently have this hardware?

Yeah, I currently have this hardware. I figured it would be the easiest way to get into the automated lights since I dont have a lot of time to spend on building my own controller. Perhaps now Ill no better for next year.

My programming skills are limited so Im not sure I will even be able to write something to get it to work. Any thoughts?

I don't believe that this exists in the current plugins. It looks pretty straight forward to write, probably wouldn't take much time. Do you currently have this hardware?

I believe a mashing together of the 595 driver , to get the bit positions and the generic serial.

Just need to spit out strings like

Code:
"AW %d\0x0dBW %d\0x0dCW%d ... etc"
This would allow for any down stream relay modules he may have on the serial port. I used C strings because I don't yet know the syntax for C# yet.

And then send.

I am attaching a dll for the pencom board. It will determine the number of devices based on the number of channels entered and it assumes that you have 8 relays per board. I am also attaching a sample output that had 32 channels configured so it should have a device from A to D. Let me know how it works out.

Attachments

• pencomdata.txt
    152 bytes · Views: 20
  • Pencom.zip
    3 KB · Views: 13
I believe a mashing together of the 595 driver , to get the bit positions and the generic serial.

I used the logic for the Hill 320p controller that I wrote sometime back. Basically it is the same principle. 1 box had 8 outputs and 1 Pencom has 8 outputs the only difference is one is written to parallel and 1 to serial.

I used the logic for the Hill 320p controller that I wrote sometime back. Basically it is the same principle. 1 box had 8 outputs and 1 Pencom has 8 outputs the only difference is one is written to parallel and 1 to serial.

That looks great...
I wrote something else, but it was a statement of the obvious...
Anyways, cool. Now people can use these things too.

Tony M.

Last edited:
Revisiting a 10+ year old thread... in the year of 2020, I've decided to dig up this kit of parts from many years ago. As it turns out, my dedicated Dell laptop is no longer operational (no surprise there). So now I'm trying to install the latest version of Vixen and get this Pencom controller up and running again! Without a serial port on my laptop, I'm using a USB-serial adapter.

Hoping to be as fortunate as I was many years ago and received some solid feedback and assistance getting this going again. Thanks in advance to any input!

Revisiting a 10+ year old thread... in the year of 2020, I've decided to dig up this kit of parts from many years ago. As it turns out, my dedicated Dell laptop is no longer operational (no surprise there). So now I'm trying to install the latest version of Vixen and get this Pencom controller up and running again! Without a serial port on my laptop, I'm using a USB-serial adapter.

Hoping to be as fortunate as I was many years ago and received some solid feedback and assistance getting this going again. Thanks in advance to any input!

Just noticed this, how far did you get ?
Tony M.

Not going to lie, haven’t gotten back to look at it. Just moved into a new place, so been unpacking. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I’ll dig it out, but still open to input from anyone else :):)

Back