PIC programmer wanted/recommendations

neonexpresso

Supporting Member
Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for a pic programmer, I just bought 3 Ren 32 kits from diyledexpress so I will need to program them. Chip is PIC16F688.

Maybe someone has one laying around they would like to make a few bucks off of.

I have the PicKit-3. Bought a real one for ~50$. Works well and not willing to sell it (I still have lots of PICs in my show). Many people use the PicKit-2 and I have heard that the knockoffs from China usually work OK.

get a pickit-2 or a pickit-3.

If you are only going to use for Renard programming, then a pickit-2 will work great and no need to pay extra for a -3.
Get a real one if you can.

I'm curious where you guys find these 'real' pickit-2/3's so cheap?

I'd say stick with cheap clones. Microchip published the schematics of the original Pickit2 so most knockoffs work. They might have some misspellings on the case or use cheaper parts, but in the end how often are you going to use it?

Having said that... This is what i use (its more $$ then the actual clones... but i was working on other projects that needed something more reliable)
http://www.piccircuit.com/shop/pic-programmer/56-ica03-usb-pic-programmer-set.html

+1 on the iCA03 (w/ Pickit2 software) I use it for all my Renard PICs. There is a Update file that you will need to download for the Pickit software to allow it to program some of the newer PICs. Will see if I can find it when I get home tonight.

I have a buddy who works at Microchip (they are here in Chandler, AZ). He got me a new, full retail package official Pickit-3 controller for a decent price. It comes complete with the software CD, a helpful pinout diagram chart+documentation, USB cable, and works flawlessly. After all, it was designed by Microchip itself so can't go wrong there. Let me ask if he can get another one if you're interested. I think I paid about $35 for it, and have used it for flashing PIC chips for the FourStick, another Renard based controller.

I might have a couple of ICD2 sitting around, have to make sure they work (I only use ICD3 now).

Thanks for all the feedback. I see the ica03 comes with the offboard adapter, does the pickit3?

Scoobysnacks if you find you can get another discount on one, I would be interested.

Back