PIC programming using MPLAB software

Wayne J

Super Moderator
Staff member
I made up some new videos for programming PICs. They are more detailed and narrated. They show downloading and working with the Renard firmware, and the flash software of the programmer.
With these videos, you will see that programming is a very simple task and something anyone can do. The videos are short and broke up into sections for quick reference. So.... here they are...............

Downloading the .asm file and using MPASMWIN software to create a .HEX file

http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/PICprogram1.swf

Program the PIC using PicKit2 flash software and generated .HEX file.

http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/PICprogram2.swf

New instructions for using the PicKit III by 'mmulvenna'

Okay folks here it is. Dont be too critical as I threw it together pretty fast. This is only to program the chip using the "HEX" file. The first few screens would be the same for the "ASM" file but then you should be able to use Waynes videos for the "project creation".

EDIT: You should also be able to use this for the diagnostic firmware, just change the file name that you select in the file browse.

Hope this helps... and good luck. Happy PICkiting

Old man Mike
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5924&d=1264521468

**** Notes... Links to these videos can also be found in the Christmas Wiki : General Information and Tips ****

Last edited:
I plan to add another video to this soon. One using the PicKit2 software, just to show how it should be setup, and using it. I think I am the only one here with a PicKit 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wayne, +1 on a great job. Have you considered doing videos with the latest "X" version of MPLAB from Microchip? It has some interesting characteristics that make it problematic for recreating binaries for some of the code here and a "how to" would be very helpful. For example, I've found that it is VERY particular about you having the CODE directive in your code that apparently was optional on previous versions. I've also had some issues trying to compile the FAST code and have it work that I cannot figure out.

Wayne, +1 on a great job. Have you considered doing videos with the latest "X" version of MPLAB from Microchip? It has some interesting characteristics that make it problematic for recreating binaries for some of the code here and a "how to" would be very helpful. For example, I've found that it is VERY particular about you having the CODE directive in your code that apparently was optional on previous versions. I've also had some issues trying to compile the FAST code and have it work that I cannot figure out.

I have thought about it, many times in fact. I choose not to do one simply because MPLABS is constantly updating and changing. I personally think and made a note in the videos page, that using the MPASMWIN software to create a .HEX file is the best method anyways. It is easier simply put. Then just load up the programmer software when needed.
I will however, add a video of the updated software if anyone wants to make one. :)

The video's are excellent. I purchased a microlab pickit 2 last year as a backup but never learned how to use it until now. I would like you guys to think for a minute that you know nothing about electronics & programming & software & code & etc. etc. You open the box and look at all the cool stuff. You have 3 disks, MPLAB v8.60, PICkit Starter Kit, and a small disk from Joshua 1. Next I find a piece of paper that says IMPORTANT INFORMATION "Read First". It basically says to go to microchip.com for the latest software. I go there and spent an hour searching for the MPASMWIN & PICKIT 2 Program, finding only frustration. Little did I know that the MPASMWIN program was incorporated in the MPLAB IDE program. I too, didn't know where to put the jumpers on the board but thanks of Ole Man Mike's pdf in post 1 on his first page told you about the jumpers. I would like to suggest that links to the software be added before the video's or at least inform an inexperience person (me) what software to load into his computer. For many of us, programming a chip is a new, first time experience.

So...............there I was following the video,s exactly as illustrated. Hit the pause button many times to make sure that I was doing it right. Finally the chip was verified. Now the big test, I installed the my prize chip into a RenSS16 controller. Turned it on and..................it worked! :yay: I sat back in my chair with a sign of relieve and said: That was easy!
Thanks for the video's

BTW in the Wiki the two links in this line needs updating "This is a series of videos on "How to program a PIC" using a Microchip Programmer hosted by Do It Yourself Christmas Forum"
Regards,
Gary

The video's are excellent. I purchased a microlab pickit 2 last year as a backup but never learned how to use it until now. I would like you guys to think for a minute that you know nothing about electronics & programming & software & code & etc. etc. You open the box and look at all the cool stuff. You have 3 disks, MPLAB v8.60, PICkit Starter Kit, and a small disk from Joshua 1. Next I find a piece of paper that says IMPORTANT INFORMATION "Read First". It basically says to go to microchip.com for the latest software. I go there and spent an hour searching for the MPASMWIN & PICKIT 2 Program, finding only frustration. Little did I know that the MPASMWIN program was incorporated in the MPLAB IDE program. I too, didn't know where to put the jumpers on the board but thanks of Ole Man Mike's pdf in post 1 on his first page told you about the jumpers. I would like to suggest that links to the software be added before the video's or at least inform an inexperience person (me) what software to load into his computer. For many of us, programming a chip is a new, first time experience.

So...............there I was following the video,s exactly as illustrated. Hit the pause button many times to make sure that I was doing it right. Finally the chip was verified. Now the big test, I installed the my prize chip into a RenSS16 controller. Turned it on and..................it worked! :yay: I sat back in my chair with a sign of relieve and said: That was easy!
Thanks for the video's

BTW in the Wiki the two links in this line needs updating "This is a series of videos on "How to program a PIC" using a Microchip Programmer hosted by Do It Yourself Christmas Forum"
Regards,
Gary

Gary, That's GREAT! I am glad they helped. I will add the software suggestions you mentioned. PM me with anymore suggestions that may be useful.

Where are the wiki links that need updated located?

Wayne and All...
Has anyone put together a "how to" for the PICKit 3 and Microchip's new software? I believe it is MPLAB X IDE v1.95.
(I'm lost, and I can't get up!)

I've reverted to version 8.92 of MPLAB. Was unable to find the stand-a-lone compiler Wayne J has in his videos.
Hopefully I've found all the buttons, but until I can get the e1.31 bridge working, I don't know if the PICs flashed correctly.
Any hints of what to look for would be most appreciated.

There are times one should get a full nights sleep before doing anything with this high-tech-stuff.

The software to make the hex file was there all along, as was pointed out in this thread and the videos.

Good stuff, and works with the PicKit3 as well. Over 45 Pic Chips have been "imaged" and not one has failed (knock on wood).

Thanks to all for your support.

Back