Power Injection for SanDevice E6804 - MegaTree

bran97

I tried wiring up a megatree recently for testing with my SanDevices E6804. Somehow I managed to brick the controller, because it no longer powers up. No fuses were blown on the controller. What I did was connect a 15 amp power supply to the power inputs of the controller. I also ran power wires from the controller power input to the ends of the 5v Alitove Ws2811 pixels(1000 pixels total, 10 strings, 100 pixels a string, all connected by their 3-pin quick connectors in a up/down layout), making the power injections only on the bottoms strips attached to the Megatree frame. What I believe happened is the power injection positive voltage backfed into the outputs of the controller and somehow managed to brick it? I see there is a diode next to the output terminals but the diode seems fine. So I'm not sure. But by ruining the controller and left a little skeptical how I should wire the replacement controller coming in the mail. I attached a diagram I drew up(Google Scan wanted to blur out he bottom left portion of the page for some reason).

Questions:
Would it be best to isolate all the positive power injections at the start of each strip as shown in the picture? Or is this not necesary.

I am using 2(30amp) psus, and 1(6amp) psu. The 6 amp psu for the first 100 pixel string connected to controller and the other 2 for the rest of the strings.(Although I will be using two separate outputs for a total of 500 pixels each output- didnt take this into account for the drawing). I know i need to connect the negative of all psus together, but do i need to connect these negatives to the negatives on the output of the controller?

I've succesfully power injected 12v ws2815s on another e6804 I have, but I am unclear as to why this one burnt out?

Does my diagram make sense? I don't trust my wiring now.

Attachments

• MegaTree.jpg
    MegaTree.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 2
Back