Power Injection: Physical Wiring Help

puppycrack

Supporting Member
Does anyone have a recommendation on wiring in power injection? I'm going to be doing my roofline, and since strings will be running consecutively w/ 2" spacing, I feel like the power injection tees will really stick out / be hard to hide.

PI would be injected in two places, and I'm not sure if each might need a different approach:
1) Between strands.
2) Within a strand - between pixels.

For #1, do they make mini PI tees (like a 3 port "hub" with no wires)? Anything else to consider?

For # 2, I've seen these automobile connectors mentioned:
https://www.amazon.com/MUYI-Waterproof-Electrical-Connector-Marine/dp/B07K1CNTPX

How do you physically wire this for PI and be waterproof? Cut all 3 wires, solder in on v+/v-, join back data, and double heat shrink as in the attached drawing? A different connector / method? Alternatives to these?

power-injection-wiring.png

Lastly, pictures of custom PI wiring would be awesome!

Thanks,
- pc

im curious as to what you came up with. I am currently where you were earlier this year. here is the roofline with approx pixel count (2" spacing) im working with and hoping to go 5v as well

Attachments

• 5v Roof Outline Pixel Count 2%22.jpg
    5v Roof Outline Pixel Count 2%22.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Does anyone have a recommendation on wiring in power injection? I'm going to be doing my roofline, and since strings will be running consecutively w/ 2" spacing, I feel like the power injection tees will really stick out / be hard to hide.

PI would be injected in two places, and I'm not sure if each might need a different approach:
1) Between strands.
2) Within a strand - between pixels.

For #1, do they make mini PI tees (like a 3 port "hub" with no wires)? Anything else to consider?

For # 2, I've seen these automobile connectors mentioned:
https://www.amazon.com/MUYI-Waterproof-Electrical-Connector-Marine/dp/B07K1CNTPX

How do you physically wire this for PI and be waterproof? Cut all 3 wires, solder in on v+/v-, join back data, and double heat shrink as in the attached drawing? A different connector / method? Alternatives to these?

View attachment 44096

Lastly, pictures of custom PI wiring would be awesome!

Thanks,
- pc

You can use those connectors, squeeze some di electric grease in them. you can cut the wire then solder the PI into the string then just use 1 adhesive lined heat shrink. Or you can purchase 3 wire scothloks.

I've been using these. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32800094315.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dFNwYAg
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...1b-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000021778928436"}

I have certainly been plenty happy with their weatherproofing ability, and they don't cost that much, but I cannot vouch for how much they stick out on your roof. They come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, so I can imagine at least one kind would work.

I have some of the Wagu lever nuts, and saw the 3x3 through connectors mentioned elsewhere for emergency repair jobs. But I didn't think they were at all waterproof? What level of exposure to the elements have you observed their waterproofness from? Direct rain or snow? Laying in puddle on ground? Also, do you use dielectric grease with them?

Thanks!

If you are worried then squirt some corrosion-X Gun oil into the contacts. I use cheap JST connectors with the gun oil and had some that were submerged in a puddle (opps) and never had an issue.

I have some of the Wagu lever nuts, and saw the 3x3 through connectors mentioned elsewhere for emergency repair jobs. But I didn't think they were at all waterproof? What level of exposure to the elements have you observed their waterproofness from? Direct rain or snow? Laying in puddle on ground? Also, do you use dielectric grease with them?

These connectors have made it through some monsoons and a lot of wind, but not a puddle in the ground. The OP was looking for solutions on the roof. I use these all the time up in the trees, since wires tend to snap a lot in the trees.

Back