Power Supply Poll

JohnByrne

Can't find any recent threads about Power Supply choices so before I drop the bucks on Mean Wells....

What do you like / use (brand, model, size ect) and what would you avoid? Hoping to get input from folks who have been running them for years.

Thanks
John

I use the el cheapo's from eBay and Amazon, been using the same ones for 5 years with no failures.........

After 5 seasons the el cheapos started to die. Biggest issue seems to be the bearings in the fan. They start making a lot of noise and then die. PSU starts shutting down randomly after that. Started replacing them with Meanwells. Have not had any failures on the meanwell supplies and some of them have been in the show for seven years now.

For the "smaller" PSUs (350 watt and smaller), we use Meanwells. This is due to the high rate of failure we had with generics in years past. For the "larger" PSUs (750 and above) we have HP Server Supplies. Most are the 750 watt size.

I started with generic 350w supplies. 2 of them within 2 years had trouble. The large Capacitors swoll up and let the magic smoke, or steam, out. I simply replaced the caps and I still have them today.
I use 1 for my bench supply and the other 1 is in my shed to supply power for a car radio and some led strip lights over my work area.
I run my show now for several years on HP Server supplies. I have 2- 750w and a 1000w for my mega tree. I really like these things. Several vendors offer breakout boards for them with all kinds of options.
Like everything else in this hobby, you will evolve, you will find out for yourself what you like and dislike and so on. Many people use what lands up in their hands in job related matters, or another person close to them offer up Free stuff. It is DIY, and how you choose to do it is your choice, and will be what works best for you.

Both are excellent choices !

For the "smaller" PSUs (350 watt and smaller), we use Meanwells. This is due to the high rate of failure we had with generics in years past. For the "larger" PSUs (750 and above) we have HP Server Supplies. Most are the 750 watt size.

That is two different posts, unrelated to anything DIYC, that this minbee has posted this morning. I Suppose there are more I just haven't gotten to yet.
:(

I've not sure Mean Well products should bring a 35% premium over good sourced white box power supplies from a quality supplier. No ebay, Ali Express, or Amazon here.....I buy from DIYLEDEXPRESS and WIRED WATTS, (recently added Wired Wotts) and get the good stuff. I've had no failures or issues for over 8 years. However I do have spares, and would have them for Mean Wells as well. Also, I usually do not load to max and check running temperatures.... abnormal high temp is a prelude to failure.

I have a mixture of Ali and WiredWatts, and so far only lost two. I think both were due to weatherproofing failures.

Nothing has changed.
If fire is not an issue, then buy the cheapest thing you can find.
If fire is a concern, then buy a meanwell or a name brand server power supply (HP, Dell, ect)

I have only used high quality supplies where a fire or blow up could reach my house.

Can't find any recent threads about Power Supply choices so before I drop the bucks on Mean Wells....

What do you like / use (brand, model, size ect) and what would you avoid? Hoping to get input from folks who have been running them for years.

Thanks
John

I use only meanwells on the house. Most of the PSUs in the yard are meanwells but there are a few generic white box PSUs out there. I found I had a higher failure rate with the generic PSUs than I have with the Meanwells. I now purchase only meanwell supplies.

I retired from General Electric after 42 years of service.....and transformers were one of my primary products. I delt with LV to megawatt so I know transformer and their design criteria. in my opinion, Meanwell is a fine product at a premium price. Its' a China built product with a Meanwell label, so, if you have a bunch of loose change buy Meanwell, but if you tie in with a supplier like Wirewatts, or similar, then they know the failure rates of both their white box unites and Meanwell. Likely their Wirewatts White Box PS is just as good, or even better.

Amazon, eBay and Ali Express units are likely Meanwell knockoffs or low lever White Boxes of the lowest quality. Suggest you don't shop there.

Back