Problem setting Grinch Dimmer start address

bront

Have been using Grinch/Dimmer for a couple of years OK starting at Ch1. I have now tried to set the start to CH 257 but cannot get it off CH1.
This is what I did...
I used Vixen 2, made a 5 sec sequence of 64 channels. Set all of Ch1 at 255, all of Ch2 at 2, all the rest of the channel grid at 0. Looped and clicked play.
With the Grinch/Dimmer powered up, a light on output A1 comes on full - so they are talking OK.

I Powered off dimmer, put J3 on, powered on Dimmer - got solid red led but no green no matter how long I wait.
Did I do it all correctly?
When in normal use, the green led flashes away as data is sent so it works. If I do a remove DMX signal/Power down/J3 on/Power up (to get CH default) I still get no Green Led.

Anyone had this problem?

Have never had this problem with my Grinch Dimmer, but then I haven't used it since 2009 and don't believe I even set it beyond Ch 1 the season I used it.

Nonetheless, here are some tricks that work with other "non-switch" DMX channel-setting devices:

*You do have Vixen set to "draw at 255 levels," rather than at 100 levels, right?

*You do have nothing attached to the DMX out or GRINCH out connectors, right?

*Power up the device with the jumper on and *then* start the DMX signal.

*Use something besides Vixen 2.1 and a sequence to generate the Ch. 1 and Ch. 2 signals; Vixen 2.5 has a test console feature, as do xLights and VixenPlus. If you root around the DIYLightanimation.com site, there is a stand-alone test console application as well as a DMX setting application. Try some of those.

*Can you reset it to Ch. 1 again (move the J3 jumper and power up with nothing attached)? If not, your ATMega may be toast.

*Even if the above is OK, try replacing the ATMega48 ... RAM may be frutzed because it's probably five or more years old.

HTH.

\dmc

Thanks for the reply dmcole, I tried all you suggested but still stuck at Ch1.
I'll work with Ch1 for now and try reprogramming the atmega down the track.
I get the solid RED so valid DMX is receiving, but I never get the solid GREEN (or even flashes).
Thanks,
Brenton

Back