Problems with 595

qhatcher

What should happen when I first turn the 5vdc power on to my 595. Are any of the LED lights suppose to come on other than the red power one? Because right now i'm having problems with mine. I turn the power on and sometimes no LED come on times anywhere from 1-5 come on and sometimes they all come on. Also doing the channel test from within Vixen the all on and off will work a few times then stop. Any ideas?

I think the random channels turning on when you first power it up is normal.

For the other problem have you checked your port settings, for mine to work correct I had to switch mine to EPP in the bios.

Well the random light thing makes me feel better. Started to think something was missoldered.

i tried switching the port from ecp to epp to bi-directional. The one time I went to bi-directional it seemed to work fine. Then today its acting weird again. There is nothing in windows firewall that could be messing with the parrell port is there?

I don't think the firewall would mess with it. Try switching it back to EPP and making sure you have the correct connections between your parallel port and the 595. Also what are you using to power the 595, if you are using a seperate power supply make sure you have the grounds tied together.

I think i got it figured out. I was using the beta 2.0.2.0 version of vixen. I switched backed over to 1.1 and it appears to be working correctly now.

Can't explain it. If i ran the test all channels on/off a few times the thing would just quit responding to commands. I think its a know issue. I think I read something sort of about it in the vixen beta 2 forum.

Back