Sold by MCUmall Inc (www.MCUmall.com)
Part# PRG-022 Enhanced JDM PIC programmer
Purchased thru E-bay

Have tested on PC
  • Dell Dimision 8400 w/ Windows XP
Controllers I have used it with

• Ren16
Review:
It was inexpensive but I have had no problems with it. I programmed PICS for 8 Ren16's and have swapped between several versions of the firmware with no issues. I supplied my own Serial cable from the PC and downloaded the software from:

www.mcumall.com/JDM_CD.zip

This zip file has quite a few different packages I used WinPICPgm.exe and it autodetects the programmer. I read in threads here not to have the PIC in when launching the application and to use the serial cable (not just plug into the serial port). Going by those suggestions it has worked just fine for me.

--Greg

Everybody beware that not all "JDM" programmers sold on Ebay and elsewhere are the same. I had 2 of them that were worthless. Luckily (for me) I didn't pay for them. they were given to me by a friend of mine who couldn't get them to work either. I have since learned that there are many different programmers out there that call themselves JDM. They were all based on the original design of Jens Dyekjær Madsen. Hence the name JDM.

There are obviously some that work perfectly well, as evident from this review and other comments from other users of the forum. Just let it be known that just because it's called JDM, doesn't necessarily mean that your experiences will be similar.

Last edited:
I too have purchased and used the PRG-022 from MCU Mall with no problems. I have used both WinPic and PICpgm downloading software that comes on the MCU download and found I like the PICpgm better ... the UI is a little more intuitive. I used a serial cable not because of recommendation but because the PC faces the wrong way from my work area.

I believe I purchased my PRG-022 from MCU on an eBay auction and paid $7.99 plus $9.99 s/h.

\dmc

Back