Project #10: Sign Post

HowardB

I was looking for something like this, so decided to create something similar - so far:

Signs cut from 122mm x 12mm pine board, primed and painted up; also weathered them a bit - need to do some letters now then seal with matt lacquer. Will add fake snow along the top of each to finish them off.
Pole post also finished - used a 1.5m x 38mm curtain rod dowel and a fancy looking wooden curtain rod end. Pole sprayed white and top sprayed gold - sealed with gloss lacquer.

Attachments

• SP1.jpg
    SP1.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 109
  • SP2.jpg
    SP2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 67
Quick update - completed two signs by adding the stencil lettering - takes a while but getting there slowly :wink:

Attachments

• SP2.jpg
    SP2.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 74
Added the "snow" to the signs; waiting for it to dry to see how it turns out :wink:

Attachments

• SP4.jpg
    SP4.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I like the snow, nice touch!

Many thanks pjones - it certainly seems to finish it off nicely and has an almost real look about it :wink2:

Looking good what did you use for snow?

Many thanks Dkelly0802. I used this Shivery Snow Paint home-made paint recipe; I was in two minds about it, but then just went for it as I couldn't really source anything else locally. It's dried now and is a bit "puffy" to the touch, so I'll have to be careful when storing it - I may coat it again with some white wood glue to firm it up a bit, then apply some matt lacquer to seal it all.
My wife had some sort of mother-of-pearl make-up glitter in her collection, so I used a bit of it to sprinkle on the wet snow before it dried - it has a lovely iridescence to it and should reflect the LED light colours from my other display items nicely :wink2:

I made the snow paint as follows:
  • Shaving Cream (not the gel type - foam type works best)
  • White school/wood glue
  • Iridescent glitter or buffalo snow (I used my wife's make-up eye glitter from a party she went to, it's pieces are smaller than normal store-bought glitter)

Method
  • I skipped a few steps in the link and used the glue and shaving cream foam at room temp, 25 degrees.
  • Mix equal parts of the glue and shaving cream in a bowl - I used a small plastic tea cup, half filled it with both glue and cream.
  • Sprinkle in some of the glitter or buffalo snow.
  • Finish the paint off with a light sprinkle of more make-up glitter.
  • Leave to dry out overnight.

All done!

Attached the signs to the pole, added some more "snow" to the pole top - turned out great (seems strange to have bright sunshine, 34 degrees Celsius and something with "snow" on it!) :biggrin:

Attachments

• SP5.jpg
    SP5.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Just an update on the "snow recipe" mentioned a few posts back - it did not stand up at all to the first rain showers, even though it was sealed with matt sealer.

I stripped off all the "snow" this morning and re-did it using Heritage 3D White Contour Paste, which being acrylic is apparently waterproof and UV resistant - just waiting for it to dry now and will post an updated pic of the new "snow" :)

The rain melted the snow away? Wow, you really captured every detail of real snow in that recipe!

Thanks for the follow up report. Let us know how the acrylic works once it gets a good dose of wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL! :wink:
The contour paste has held up nicely to the thunderstorms experienced the past 2 days; no signs of melting this time! I'd certainly recommend it if you want fake snow on projects :thup:

Back