Project #6: DIY Mr Snowman cutout with Solar Lantern

HowardB

My 6th completed project is my Mr Snowman cutout with solar LED lantern; this was inspired by Chris Hill's project "How to Build a Wooden Snowman".

I used Chris's guide as the shape template for the main body and paint guide, however I wanted a more sturdy stand/base that I could add a sandbag to if needed - it also needed to flatpack for easy storage so I modified the arms so they fold down. The solar lantern was an afterthought - it just seemed to fit well. This was a very rewarding project and it's turned out much better than I expected - I also learned how to do pocket-hole joints!

The general supply list for this project was as follows:
  • 18mm plywood - for the main body and hat
  • 18mm meranti/pine - for the arm assemblies and nose
  • 22mm pine - for the stand/base
  • Paints and primer - I used pure acrylic all round
  • Rubber bumps for the base and folding arms - see pics
  • Some hinges and a catch for the base - see pics
  • Ready bought solar lantern - sourced locally from Takealot as it was the perfect shape/size - see pics
  • Tools included a pocket-hole jig, screws and screwdriver, glue, drill and various bits, jigsaw, paint brushes and sandpaper
The body parts and hat were easy enough to draw and cut out with a jigsaw. Once all parts were sanded they were primed and then painted - I used 2-4 coats of pure acrylic for the final color finishes.
The arm sections were also fairly simple to construct, although I had to learn about pocket-hole joints. At the end of the construction, I decided to cut the main arm bar in half in order to make them fold down independently for easy storage - see pics.
The base/stand was made from scratch, by trial and error really - I wanted something that could fold flat and then pop out into a sturdy stand and be held together with a catch - I think the final idea works really well for this purpose - see pics.
I ended up modifying the solar lantern slightly as it was too short when staked in the ground; I added an additional 500mm height to the stake using the same diameter rod, painted black - other than that, straight out the box.

Oh and there's a proper scarf that'll adorn Mr Snowman!

Here's some pictures of the build stages to completion:
Snowman1.jpg

Snowman2.jpg

Snowman3.jpg

I may do a few more of these cutout projects as I thoroughly enjoyed this one - I have an idea for our flat roof house parapet walls - maybe some "peeker" cutouts for the parapet tops!
If you need more pictures or information on the build steps let me know.

The next project post will be my in-progress Scratch-built Wireframe "Merry Christmas" EL wire sign... :wink2:

Back