Projector mapping and communicating with FPP

L4H23

Hi all. I'm about 6 ours into searching here and in Falcon Christmas and can't seem to find the answer. I want to add projector mapping. I found many softwares but one called mapmap is free and seems user friendly. Once I map the house how do I create the videos and get them to integrate / play with FPP. The plan is to have the FPP connected to the projector through hdmi. This is all new to me so thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
You are on the right track . Map your intended target -> import your map to video editing software and apply your effects etc then save and export .
You may need to consider video length and FPS/rate when exporting to suit your sequence fps/timing .

I like to use Vegas Pro for creating and editing videos.

You also may need to export a specific file format for your purpose.

You also may need to export a specific file format for your purpose.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Will the video have to be run through xlights or will I be able to upload the video directly into FPP content and Playlist. Also Does it need to be in any specific format to play properly in FPP?

This is something I want to incorporate to next years show is having projection video play on the garage door together with my Vixen sequences. Is this something that can be controlled directly by Vixen or only direct by my PI player.

I've done a fair bit of projector mapping myself, and I can offer some insight. Once you've mapped your house, you'll need to create your visuals in the software of your choice. I'd recommend trying Movavi software, which is a great choice for creating visuals. Once you've got the visuals ready, you can use a program like xLights to create a sequence that will tell the visuals when to play. Finally, you can use FPP to control the visuals and send commands from the FPP to the projector over the HDMI connection. It might sound a bit daunting, but there're lots of great resources out there to help you get the job done.

Last edited:
I have read running the video files through a virtual matrix on P10 panels is quite taxing with the amount of data needed. Any limitations on running the MP4 files direct off of FPP to the short throw projector? I ask as I was originally only going with VGA output, but have seen deals on 1K projectors. Looking at this l: Model Epson BrightLink 575Wi, Type: Home Theater Projector, Native Resolution: 1200x800

Last edited:
Back