PX1 Firmware speed question

dgirard

Supporting Member
Hello!
I've got a few PX1's on order to help with my transition to Pixels this year.

I'm planning on feeding them with the output from my j1sys DR4.

I see that the PX1 supports a set of baud rates including 115200 and 230400. I'd like to drive it as fast as possible so I can support more pixels if needed (with PI obviously)

My question derives from the speeds supported by the DR4 (which is primarily designed to output DMX, but also supports Renard out). It supports 115200, but higher speeds are different: 250K, 500k, 750K, and higher.

Looking at the source code, it looks like I could add 250K support to the PX1 by just adding a new speed selection and configuring the bit timing calculation in the code with 250000 instead os 230400... I don't care about over the wire programming--I'll make changes only by flashing the firmware--so no need to update the remote setup stuff.

It looks like, in theory this should work...am I right? (in theory at least?)....Obviously, I can just test once my PX1's arrive (but that won't be for a couple months in the group buy)...

Followup question: any thoughts on if it will support speeds higher than 250? (assuming it supports 250?)...I saw some notes that the PIC isn't fast enough to output more than a certain number of pixels, but also the wiki implies support for 460800 (thus perhaps 500k?)...if it can, then I could daisy chain 2 of them for support of 600 pixels with 50ms refresh on one DR4 output channel.

Thoughts?
David

This has come up in previous discussions. Phil had implied that he was being very careful with his loops and that timing was pretty critical. This means that you might be able to push the speed to 250K with some tweaking. However, Phil did not get the code to run at 460K and I would guess that he ran into CPU performance issues.

Keep in mind that all of the data going through the px1 still needs to be handled (forwarded) by code in the PX1 and this impacts the devices ability to output pixel data. The faster the data rate (assuming you increase the speed to daisy chain more devices which increases the data density) the more the CPU is interrupted to process that data.

Thanks!
I'll give 250 a try when they get here. Otherwise I need to see if the J1sys guys will support the 230800 speed setting.

David

Back