Question about tethering inflatables

diverpig

I have searched the internet high and low and although almost all sites say you should tether your inflatables (in addition to anchoring fan), none of them tell you how to do it. Like, how long should they be? Do they need to go out far from the inflatable or can the tethers go basically straight down? I am trying to reduce the tether clutter in my yard. At Halloween, I had fourteen items out and with all the tether lines, I had to put up a barrier so people didn't try to go close to the blowups and trip on the tethers. I have finally gone inflatable for Christmas and have about 10 to put out this year and would really like to keep the tether lines short and close.

I can't reference any official source but I have years of experience with tents, flys, poles, etc.

Tethers on flexible objects like to be as horizontal as possible. Straight down is bad. Straight out to a tree is good. 45 degree angle is OK. Also having multiple anchors at different positions (like 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock) is better than having a single anchor at 1:30. If your inflatable has a top tether, the best anchor point is straight up (assuming you have a convenient tree branch.

Somewhat around here there is data on anchoring portable holes. That data and Chuck's link (cool data) are for different purposes than you need but contain good info. Solid objects behave differently than flexible ones. I think reversing the info in Chuck's link makes the most sense. That is, try for the highest force number. That will tell you how much force your tether can apply to the inflatable.

In any case, inflatables are doomed to be tethered and the more inflatables, the more tethers you need.

the more horizantal you go the better for pressure, that being said tether them close and just do not turn on in exremely windy weather

I know this is old, but may help some others that come across this. I use to have tons of issues with my inflatables. Last year a started putting them on pallets, I get pallets from work and cut down into 2 usable pallets. I screw the inflatable base down and then tether to the pallet as well and then include 2 more tethers once in place. It makes it easier to setup each year as they stay on the pallets in storage and if I decide to move the location its quick and easy. Not only this, but it keeps grass, moisture, water, etc out of the base and fan

Back