random light colors in pixels

mr fix

any ideas how and why my pixel trees are showing random light colors
i began thinking it was a power problem but not it i power injected every 50 5v leds no fix.
ran 12/2 power wire from power supply to the pixels still no fix.
ran 18 awg for data no fix
ran 12 awg for data no fix.
its strang
wen i run each 50 alone works great wen i state to add other strand then things start to go nuts help.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

vixen
mega tree i am using teensy 3.2 & octows2811

the 2 small trees 100 pixs ea i use arduino mega.

wired like this
689e606b3c89188732a6ca54dd19f210.jpg

crazy idea but the arduino has a power input that gets 12v in i use 5 volt pix should i diconect the 12v

I'm not sure how I trust your schematic, but your schematic says 5V SMPS but you said DC12V is supplying power to the Arduino. Your Vin pin is connected to both the power supply and the pixels. If what you said is correct, then you are feeding 12V to 5V pixels.

Yes, pull the 12v and try. When you supply 12v to MEGA, onboard 5v regulator regulates 12v down to 5v. So external 5v ad 12v are redundant.

I would start by bench testing your equipment separately using a second light controller and set of LED lights to isolate your issue. Amazon sells several ALITOVE LED Controllers for WS2811 lights for $10-12.

Arduinos can run hot when you plug in 12V to them, so be careful. Technically, that's within spec, but don't cheat and try to go higher than 12V, and watch the heat. A small amount of pixels can run off the 5V pin instead of Vin, when you feed the Arduino >6V. The spec says up to 0.8A. But watch the heat again if you approach that limit.

so i tryed evey thing with the ground side of things and the power side nothing no fix still some random colors.
so i am thinking wen i loaded the sketch into the mega 2560 i set the out puts higher then i need example i need 400 pix and i put in the sketch 700 will that have an effect and if i dont patch all the outputs.
and i do have an inline resistor.

Last edited:
so i was looking and i see somthing the mega tree is running mega tree.
the arduino uno is running 2 white christmas trees.
so now you know that i run 2 setups the thing i see is that in both light setups is were i have the random colors happing is only on string 1 of both setups the rest of the lights the colors are correct.

Back