Relay on ESP266 and ESP32 using ESPixelStick

I need to switch a set of low voltage regular Christmas lights so the controller stays powered so it holds the factory pattern. This controller doesn't have a memory.
I would like to use a relay connected to a WIFI board and use it like a timer to turn the lights on and off unattended (I spent all day on this. should be so simple).

This is where I'm at:
D1mini 8266 with Espixelstick 4.0 but no relay option in the outputs.
D1 mini Esp32 tried pin 15 as per some instructions in various videos. But couldn't get the relay to switch (the blue light is faint on the relay board and won't switch on or off)
I also tried every other Output pin on the board with no luck.
ESP32 (regular size) works on pin 15 and I can switch the relay on and off (it works as intended and controllable in Xlights) HOWEVER this is a waste of an esp32, but that aside...

If I use the ESP32, how do I get it discoverable in Alexa? I have Input 2 set to Alexa, but she won't find the board. I found a thread that said that's all I needed to do. I was planning on setting a timer routine to achieve the desired.

So where to from here? or can someone suggest if I can set a timer or something in FPP perhaps.
The relay I'm using is the Duinotech XC-4419.

D1mini 8266 with Espixelstick 4.0 but no relay option in the outputs.
the espsv3 image is designed for the original V3 HW which does not support relay outputs so the option is excluded in the build. Not all HW platforms support Relays and I do not remember any of the ESP8266 platforms having relay outputs. It is easy to recompile with relay turned on.
D1 mini Esp32 tried pin 15 as per some instructions in various videos. But couldn't get the relay to switch (the blue light is faint on the relay board and won't switch on or off)
Keep in mind that the number in the config is NOT the pin number. It is the GPIO number. You need to find the GPIO number printed on the CPU board. Also, you will want to use an active low relay because the GPIOs are not great at sourcing current but are pretty good at sinking it.
I also tried every other Output pin on the board with no luck.
That is odd.
ESP32 (regular size) works on pin 15 and I can switch the relay on and off (it works as intended and controllable in Xlights) HOWEVER this is a waste of an esp32, but that aside...
If I use the ESP32, how do I get it discoverable in Alexa? I have Input 2 set to Alexa, but she won't find the board. I found a thread that said that's all I needed to do. I was planning on setting a timer routine to achieve the desired.
This should just work. Plrase test the new version created this weekend (Sunday) which fixes a confiuration error. I will take a look at the Alexa integration when I get home.
So where to from here? or can someone suggest if I can set a timer or something in FPP perhaps.
The relay I'm using is the Duinotech XC-4419.
Yes FPP understands time and you can use it to send a test pattern starting at a specific time. I suspect that is not going to solve your issue. If you have alexa, the why dont you just use a smart plug?

I'm sure there is a reason not to just use a smart switch? The Wyze outdoor plug with 2 outputs is only $5 at Home Depot or $10 from the Wyze site. It has Alexa integration built in. Of course those are US prices , I don't know the costs in New Zealand.

I'm sure there is a reason not to just use a smart switch? The Wyze outdoor plug with 2 outputs is only $5 at Home Depot or $10 from the Wyze site. It has Alexa integration built in. Of course those are US prices , I don't know the costs in New Zealand.

This needs to sit between the factory multi controller (which doesn't have a memory to retain the setting I want) to stay powered at all times and the rest of the string. For now I have xlights turning it on and off with each sequence so it's workable if the Alexa bit doesn't work.

Back